Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Digital Matrix headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2022, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Digital Matrix headlights?

Hey all. I am looking to place my order for the 2022 e-tron. I currently have a 2018 Q7 with LED headlights. I have been scouring the internet and asking very pointed questions to the sales department, but am not getting any straight answers. Hoping you can help. I think the Digital Matrix headlights will be worth the money to me when they are fully approved in the US, but that might take up to two more years. For those of you who have the Digital Matrix headlights with the capabilities turned off, how do they compare to the standard LED lights? Similar or significant visibility improvement at night?

Also, I have seen the terms "Matrix-Design headlights" in some places and "Digital Matrix headlights" in others - I assume the Matrix-Design headlights is simply referring to the Digital Matrix headlights with the US unapproved functions turned off? Is that correct?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-10-2022, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by peghoward@gmail.com
Hey all. I am looking to place my order for the 2022 e-tron. I currently have a 2018 Q7 with LED headlights. I have been scouring the internet and asking very pointed questions to the sales department, but am not getting any straight answers. Hoping you can help. I think the Digital Matrix headlights will be worth the money to me when they are fully approved in the US, but that might take up to two more years. For those of you who have the Digital Matrix headlights with the capabilities turned off, how do they compare to the standard LED lights? Similar or significant visibility improvement at night?

Also, I have seen the terms "Matrix-Design headlights" in some places and "Digital Matrix headlights" in others - I assume the Matrix-Design headlights is simply referring to the Digital Matrix headlights with the US unapproved functions turned off? Is that correct?

Thanks in advance.
The terminology on the headlights can be fuzzy between dealerships/salespeople, but for the most part, Matrix design headlights refer to earlier LED headlights. They are essentially a headlight where the high beam is a number of different LED segments, each of these segments can be on/off dimmed/brightened so that the bright beams are able to do things like block out a portion of the beam to avoid blinding traffic and adjusted lighting around turns and corners (though, as you noted, these features are not US available).

Digital Matrix headlights are the more advanced, newest tech Audi has (digital is the differentiating term you should be looking for), rather than the couple dozen segments the Matrix headlights have, the digital matrix headlights utilize millions ofpixels allowing these lights operate like a movie projector. I'm using sales literature language here, but you see the effect of this ability with the fancy on/off animations. In addition to the animations, these lights have more control and robustness with features of the previous Matrix headlights like light blocking and curved lighting, and unlike the previous Matrix headlights these features are available on the low light beams as well as the high beam, as well as the ability to highlight pedestrians, and to throw light and animations directly on the drivers path (the light carpet, lane guidance, directional arrows, etc).

Last edited by Brock Tune; 01-10-2022 at 04:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mceatalot (01-17-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you, Brock Tune. I guess I am confused then between the Standard/Premium level "LED headlights" and the Premium Plus "Matrix-Design LED headlights". These two levels are in addition a third option in the Chronos package, the "Digital Matrix headlights".

Unfortunately, there is a nearly $10K jump between each of the three levels. If there is a big difference between the LED headlights and the Matrix-Design LED headlights with the capabilities turned off, I will probably go for that. But if it is marginal, I'd like to save the money!

Thanks again.
Old 01-11-2022, 03:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

You can see the difference here and I've owned both.
https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle...022#headlights

The standard headlights are better in low beam situations. The digital matrix ones are better in high beam situations. And as you can see on the IIHS graphic, the digital matrix ones are severely lacking in lighting up the left side of the road with just the low beam and it is also very obvious in real life. When the digital matrix lights have the high beam on, they are amazing, pretty much daylight. However, since most driving is just in low beam mode unless you live somewhere rural, the standard headlights are actually better for most driving.
Old 01-11-2022, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The original LED matrix headlights may never be legal in the US. Audi states that they are not compliant with the proposed NHTSA standards, which deviate from the current SAE standards accepted in most of the rest of the world. The digital matrix headlights offer more flexibility and should become US legal.
Old 01-11-2022, 06:54 AM
Terlonz

Received 272 Likes on 183 Posts

In the US the availablity is as follows:

Premium trim, LED headlights are standard.

Premium Plus adds "Matrix-design LED headlights, Dynamic turn signals and full LED taillights with animation". All e-trons sold in the US except Premium trim cars should have this. They move/adjust on their own including corner illumination etc. Other functionality is disabled because North America.

Chronos adds Digital Matrix LED headlights. These are the zillion pixel animation-enabled lights BrockTune describes above. Previously (2021 only) these lights were a freestanding $3,000 option for Prestige trim only. There are lots of videos out there showing what they can do, and at least one thread on this forum where an owner posted the animations.

Old 01-11-2022, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

on the e-tron S they were a $3000 option, so I ended up passing. I really like the look of what you can find on youtube, but I have no faith the US will ever make them more than a $3000 drain on the bank account for a few more years. If I could get the base features for 'free' with the car I'd take the neat animations and stuff, and be willing to pay if they ever become street legal in the US. but not willing to take that chance on purchase.
Old 01-11-2022, 12:22 PM
Terlonz

Received 272 Likes on 183 Posts

When I got my 21 they had several e-trons with the matrix lights, one of which was in the color I was looking for. The price increase was only $2600 after discounts but I still passed at that price. The animations etc. are cool but that's a lot of money.

At the time, they said they hoped to be able to make expanded functionality something you can "unlock" later for a fee, if it ever gets approved. I didn't want to take that chance either.
Old 01-11-2022, 09:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

For newer E-class Mercs you can get a dongle to activate full matrix headlight functions for US-spec cars. Cost is ~$500 usd from a very reliable source in eastern Europe.. I haven't heard of any comparable apps for Audis.
The following users liked this post:
Psymac55 (05-03-2023)
Old 01-12-2022, 12:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by lkfoster
For newer E-class Mercs you can get a dongle to activate full matrix headlight functions for US-spec cars. Cost is ~$500 usd from a very reliable source in eastern Europe.. I haven't heard of any comparable apps for Audis.
Isn't the issue down to how Merc offer it vs Audi in that Audi seem to be more of a subscription service. ie if the hardware is there then you can activate it for a fee via digital services/the shop.

I know thats how the functions on demand bit work - I have the hardware for Matrix however it was not specced to have Matrix lighting and so on a monthly/6 month/annual/3/6/lifetime , I can purchase it

I suspect Merc probably spec it as having it by default but switched off only because of legalities

Might be wrong

Quick Reply: Digital Matrix headlights?