Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

DPF & Drive System Faulty!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2022, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DPF & Drive System Faulty!!!!!

Hello guys I am new to the forum and would like to request your help.

Car: Q7, 3.0 Tdi Quatro triptronic, 2015 model.

Problem: I had a DPF message showing and did not drive a 40km distance at high revs to remove the DPF message. Yesterday I got a drive system faulty message (with speed control/cruise not usable).
Question: Can the DPF cause a drive system fault?

Thanks and appreciated.
Old 02-11-2022, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 774 Likes on 641 Posts
Default How many miles on that DPF?

YES, absolutely, but don't take it for granted they are related; you will need a proper good scantool to own this car...one that speaks VW.
The car will try to do a regen if you will run it around in a lower gear to keep the rpms well up above 2000 so it can maintain exhaust temps required for a regeneration cycle, which lasts about 15-20 minutes. A DPF regen can also be 'triggered' manually in a couple ways...do you have a VCDS?
The whole car is networked, and the car both can and will shut down systems, accessories, go into limp-mode, etc., depending on the sensor feedback it receives. If you start seeing really odd trouble codes popping up, or strange behavior, be sure to scan the entire car for faults using a VAG (Volkswagon Auto Group)-compatible scantool, as often the craziest stuff happens related to a low charge state of the battery (most often due to door handle parasitic drains). The preferred tool for DIY maintenance & doing any kind of service or DIY fixing on this car is the VCDS cable using Ross-Tech software.

Last edited by '10Q7TDI_Prestige'; 02-11-2022 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-11-2022, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Do you have any extended dieselgate warranty remaining. If so take it to Audi. You are covered. They gave me a free DPF last July for soot loading. Guess we idled too long and for too many days. We had the house up for sale so went out during showings. Did not help that my work commute was 12 KM's each way. Car barely warmed up. Now I have no commute. I get to sleep in after 34 years of work.

Last edited by Edzzed; 02-11-2022 at 07:30 PM.
Old 02-12-2022, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks a lot guys. I saw the sign on dash. Its emmissions. So i must just drive the car 30 to 40 km and it might clear. Will let you know. Thanks again.
Old 02-12-2022, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Mileage? DPF Maintenance?

Originally Posted by Jmahlatsi
Thanks a lot guys. I saw the sign on dash. Its emmissions. So i must just drive the car 30 to 40 km and it might clear. Will let you know. Thanks again.
The DPF on this car is scheduled for it's first 'check' at 120k miles...approx 193k kilometers. After that the DPF loading is supposed to be checked at every service interval.
The DPF is built with a service port in it so it can be 'cleaned out' via special DPF fluid product applied directly to the DPF, but you would only have that done if the regen cycle is not working or the overall ash loading stored in the DPF has reached critical mass, and needs to be removed, much like you would clean out a fireplace to make room for more ash from the next fire, etc...same concept anyways. If you have the VCDS diagnostic tool, then you can manually trigger a regen cycle, as well as be able to do the more advanced functions on this car, including check the ash loading/DPF restriction levels, etc; highly recommended.

If you don't have a VAG-compatible scantool, there will be trouble codes you can't see when connected via a 'normal' scantool that is not designed to work with the VAG (Volkswagon Auto Group) diagnostic interface on this car.

Last edited by '10Q7TDI_Prestige'; 02-12-2022 at 08:04 AM.
Old 02-14-2022, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi guys. So i drove the car for about 40 min and discovered that there is no power especially uphill. Its like no turbo. I drove almost flat foot on the accelerator sometimes and it took long to get to 150kmph. The emissions sign is still on.

Can i drive more than 300km like that since my nearest audi is 250km away? I also do not have the tools for scanning. The vehicle is at 107000km.
Old 02-14-2022, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Jmahlatsi
Hi guys. So i drove the car for about 40 min and discovered that there is no power especially uphill. Its like no turbo. I drove almost flat foot on the accelerator sometimes and it took long to get to 150kmph. The emissions sign is still on.

Can i drive more than 300km like that since my nearest audi is 250km away? I also do not have the tools for scanning. The vehicle is at 107000km.
So you've got about 66k miles on your TDI, and it's telling you either the DPF is clogged, basically, or you've got sensor issues. You are already aware that TDI's with emissions controls (DPF) do not like constant short-trip driving, and require specific driving parameters be met to get hot enough to enter an automatic regeneration cycle for the DPF, which it does in order to burn soot particles captured/obstructing filter into ash.

There would be zero point to drive it to Audi dealer unless you've got some type of warranty on it. Investing in the one tool that can allow you to self-fix this and myriad other future service/maintenance needs you will encounter, would appear to be your best option...it costs one hour of Audi labor rate (US market$), which they will charge you just to diagnose/scan the car for faults. If you don't care to DIY, then find a local diesel mechanic/German car mechanic and make friends with them, because you will be completely in the dark on maintaining or repairing this car if you don't have a VAG (Volkswagen Auto Group)-compatible scantool that can talk to it. There are DPF-specific cleaning additives you can just pour into the fuel tank to help clear it, but you really need to be able to see all the trouble codes that exist beyond the dash CEL/MIL lamps that are hidden from view, and with the correct scantool, you can manually trigger the regen-cycle, as well. It's going to be a very frustrating and expensive car for you if you choose to leave your car's every sniffle and maintenance need in the hands of a local car shop or Audi dealer.
The following users liked this post:
Edzzed (02-14-2022)
Old 02-14-2022, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I work in the middle of nowhere, small town. So i will need to drive around 240km to even get someone with a good scan.
How many miles/ kilos can i drive if the car is only driving at 140km flat foot and showing this emissions sign?
Old 02-14-2022, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I also agree that i should get the VAG tool asap.
Old 02-14-2022, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Is this the tool

https://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/5429...0aAvfuEALw_wcB

Quick Reply: DPF & Drive System Faulty!!!!!