Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Muffler Delete & Resonator Delete on S5 B9?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2022, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muffler Delete & Resonator Delete on S5 B9?

Hi all! Does anyone know if a muffler delete and and a resonator will sound good on my S5 B9? Haven't been able to find any sound clips with a muffler and resonator delete. I already have the center resonator out and its still a little too quiet for my liking. I am wondering if a muffler delete will make a bigger difference.
Old 04-19-2022, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by sebnagy22
Hi all! Does anyone know if a muffler delete and and a resonator will sound good on my S5 B9? Haven't been able to find any sound clips with a muffler and resonator delete. I already have the center resonator out and its still a little too quiet for my liking. I am wondering if a muffler delete will make a bigger difference.
If you already did the resonator delete, just remove the pipes after that and you can get an idea of what it sounds like.
The following users liked this post:
Nikon1 (04-19-2022)
Old 04-19-2022, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

Welcome! A lot of us on here have went with the VPS resonator delete kit. It's popular and works well. The thread pops up pretty often, or a quick search should lead you there. Tony at VPS is the guy to contact for purchase.

Here is a clip of a cold start with the VPS res delete:
Old 04-19-2022, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by FLOS5IN
Welcome! A lot of us on here have went with the VPS resonator delete kit. It's popular and works well. The thread pops up pretty often, or a quick search should lead you there. Tony at VPS is the guy to contact for purchase.

Here is a clip of a cold start with the VPS res delete: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-if1yi_6dFc
Ive already got an X pipe instead of the centre resonator, this was done by a muffler shop. Was just wondering how it would sound without the rear mufflers.
Old 04-19-2022, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Ive already got an X pipe instead of the centre resonator, this was done by a muffler shop. Was just wondering how it would sound without the rear mufflers.
Put the car up in the air, take off the back pipes, start it up....
Nikon1 (04-19-2022)
Old 04-19-2022, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by HyperS4
Put the car up in the air, take off the back pipes, start it up....
I believe the muffler on my S5 is welded all the way up to the X pipe, so I can’t take anything apart without cutting it off.
Old 04-19-2022, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I believe the muffler on my S5 is welded all the way up to the X pipe, so I can’t take anything apart without cutting it off.
They welded your resonator delete pipes on? It was done at a shop custom?
Old 04-19-2022, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,193 Likes on 930 Posts

considering we have electrically valved mufflers and the car sounds good with a resonator delete (or in your case x-pipe) i bet it won't sound good with a muffler delete. the car will throw error codes related to the exhaust valves and it also may cause drone and sound raspy. if you want to do nothing but ruin the car and attract tons of attention to yourself, then have at it with a muffler delete....

​​​​​​​
They welded your resonator delete pipes on? It was done at a shop custom?
​​​​​​​
another reason I went with something that was reversible in my garage in case I hated it. A week later I gave my neighbor the resonators so he could get some $ for scrap metal on his next run to the recycling center and haven't looked back since.

Last edited by mhoran89; 04-19-2022 at 07:34 AM.
FLOS5IN (04-19-2022)
Old 04-19-2022, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by mhoran89
considering we have electrically valved mufflers and the car sounds good with a resonator delete (or in your case x-pipe) i bet it won't sound good with a muffler delete. the car will throw error codes related to the exhaust valves and it also may cause drone and sound raspy. if you want to do nothing but ruin the car and attract tons of attention to yourself, then have at it with a muffler delete....
Ive had my valves disconnected one way or another on every Audi Ive had. They are soft error codes, no harm. I have ZERO drone with my VPS pipes in my car and actually think the car is still too quiet. There are times Im driving and its like I still have stock(quiet) exhaust on my car. 70mph highway dead quiet. This is in Dynamic/D. If you use Dynamic/S then yes you might get some drone in the lower mph.
Old 04-19-2022, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,193 Likes on 930 Posts

Ive had my valves disconnected one way or another on every Audi Ive had. They are soft error codes, no harm. I have ZERO drone with my VPS pipes in my car and actually think the car is still too quiet. There are times Im driving and its like I still have stock(quiet) exhaust on my car. 70mph highway dead quiet. This is in Dynamic/D. If you use Dynamic/S then yes you might get some drone in the lower mph.
i am talking about completely removing the rear mufflers. the car is naturally going to drone in S mode at certain RPMs, that is the nature of the beast but if you start removing all the frequency absorbing properties of the entire exhaust system it could be obnoxious.

Quick Reply: Muffler Delete & Resonator Delete on S5 B9?