Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKIII Discussion forum for the 2022 and up Audi A3, S3 and RS3

2022 RS3 steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2022, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2022 RS3 steering wheel

Hi, I am about to place an order for the new rs3 (NA), but after checking the build page I noticed it came with a round steering wheel and I remember earlier about a week ago, choosing the green goblin interior gave the full Alcantara and flat bottom steering wheel, but now no matter what interior you choose, the steering wheel is round. For me that's sort of a deal breaker. I asked the dealer and the rep says he'll get back to me with more info. Does anyone have any knowledge/info into this. Appreciate the response.
Old 05-28-2022, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 154 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by medial
Hi, I am about to place an order for the new rs3 (NA), but after checking the build page I noticed it came with a round steering wheel and I remember earlier about a week ago, choosing the green goblin interior gave the full Alcantara and flat bottom steering wheel, but now no matter what interior you choose, the steering wheel is round. For me that's sort of a deal breaker. I asked the dealer and the rep says he'll get back to me with more info. Does anyone have any knowledge/info into this. Appreciate the response.
You need to watch this video:

The following users liked this post:
medial (06-02-2022)
Old 06-02-2022, 04:34 PM
IB Staff

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Hey, I drove the Kyalami Green RS 3 on track at the Audi USA launch event for AW (review's on the front page and I'm editing a video review now) and I just checked my footage -- Alcantara? yes. Flat bottom? no. Sorry.

FWIW, I had no troubles clearing the bottom of the wheel with my knees, etc. (I'm 6' tall), but i did manage to bang my left knee on the door a few times, hahaha.

If you can get over this issue, it's a fun driver's car on and off the track. Cheers.
medial (06-02-2022)
Old 06-02-2022, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the replies. Guess we have to live with it or replace it with mods. MPalmer, i actually read your article just today. Whats your YT channel, id like to watch the review. Thanks
Old 06-03-2022, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 367 Posts

The flat bottom wheel does not provide capacitive sensing, so cannot be used in cars fitted with Audi/VAG's MIB3 system that have adaptive driving assistance options that need to determine whether the driver is holding the wheel. Those require the round wheel, which does include capacitive sensors. The limited versions / allocations being made available to the NA region all include some adaptive driving assistance aids, so the flat bottom wheel cannot be used.

The previous 8V RS3 used MIB2+, the steering wheel sensor was mechanical - you had to move it, not just touch it.

It is the same for every Audi ICE model using MIB3 architecture, with the exception of the RS6.
medial (06-03-2022)
Old 06-03-2022, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

there was never a flat bottom wheel intended for the US
The following 2 users liked this post by SCarGuy:
Ljspeed (06-06-2022), medial (06-03-2022)
Old 06-03-2022, 08:45 AM
IB Staff

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for the replies. Guess we have to live with it or replace it with mods. MPalmer, i actually read your article just today. Whats your YT channel, id like to watch the review. Thanks
It'll be here on the site as well, but we also upload here when we can -- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4T...7uxeD09XaR1FrA
Old 06-03-2022, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MPalmer
It'll be here on the site as well, but we also upload here when we can -- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4T...7uxeD09XaR1FrA

ook got it. I’ll look forward to it and i subbed too
Old 06-14-2022, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is not just NA. All of the world have the round wheel for capacitive sensors if they have the assistance features on the car.

It is unclear if ANY existing flat bottom Audi wheel will work on a driver assistance featured car without requiring certain features to be turned off by coding which no dealer would touch…
Old 06-15-2022, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse
The flat bottom wheel does not provide capacitive sensing, so cannot be used in cars fitted with Audi/VAG's MIB3 system that have adaptive driving assistance options that need to determine whether the driver is holding the wheel. Those require the round wheel, which does include capacitive sensors. The limited versions / allocations being made available to the NA region all include some adaptive driving assistance aids, so the flat bottom wheel cannot be used.

The previous 8V RS3 used MIB2+, the steering wheel sensor was mechanical - you had to move it, not just touch it.

It is the same for every Audi ICE model using MIB3 architecture, with the exception of the RS6.
My 2021 RS5 Black Optics edition (using MIB3) came with a flat bottom alcantara wheel and worked fine, and didn't require you to "move" the wheel to sense your hand. I'm sure coding can be done to make it work. The only limitation I know of with regard to flat bottom vs round wheels is the inability for the flat bottom to have the heating option.

Last edited by The Yeoman; 06-15-2022 at 06:20 AM.

Quick Reply: 2022 RS3 steering wheel