Looking for Headlight/DRL Connector for LED Emblem Install - 2021 Audi S5

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2022, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation Looking for Headlight/DRL Connector for LED Emblem Install - 2021 Audi S5

Hello all,

I recently got an LED emblem I am trying to install in the grill of my 2021 Audi S5. I want the LED emblem to turn on whenever my DRLs (daytime running lights) are on, but I cannot find the connector to tap into. I've spent hours researching and have found no information that helps me as the 2021 S5 has a very compact engine bay. Before I disassemble any further, I would like to see if anyone can give me insight on where I can access the headlight/DRL connector pins to tap my positive wire into. I am new at this and am trying to learn so I'd appreciate any feedback or helpful info.

Below is a picture of my engine bay and a closer picture at one connecter pin I found. I thought that connector pin (1st pic, circled in red) was going to be the headlight pin but when I unplug it, the headlights still function normally and I just get errors that some of my other sensors (like parking sensors) are being interrupted. I would tap into one of those cables, but I have no idea what the colors represent. I don't know if the color coding for wires is the same on all Audis or not. I just don't feel comfortable tapping into wires that I have no idea what they connect to and what components they power. I have looked up and down from what I can visibly see but haven't found anything that looks like a headlight/DRL connector pin.

I appreciate any and all help & advice. Thank you!

The following 2 users liked this post by nick707:
Mjbence (12-12-2022), rafamundez (08-23-2022)
Old 06-23-2023, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Follow up

Hey man - did you ever figure this out? I’m in the same position as you. Disappointed to see no other responses.
Old 06-23-2023, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aevi222
Hey man - did you ever figure this out? I’m in the same position as you. Disappointed to see no other responses.
Unfortunately I never did end up figuring out how to hook it all up. I had to return my LED emblem and just went with a solid black one. I even took it to a place that specializes in wiring/electronics for German cars and they weren’t sure if they were going to be able to do it without doing some absurd changes to the wiring that would cost me a fortune. It’s rather annoying how unclear Audi has made their wiring and there are literally no models or explanations on what wires are what and where the connector pins are located.
Old 06-24-2023, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2,065 Likes on 1,759 Posts

Audi documents the wiring just fine. The problem is the headlamps are CAN bus communicated, not connected with a bunch of on/off wires. There's only 5 wires to the full LED (8IT, 8IY) headlamps for B9.5 (can't say for sure on the 8IZ laser lights, don't have an 8W/F5 wiring diagram document):
CAN high
CAN low
term 56b - low beam trigger, I assume this is an "analog" backup in the event of CAN comms failure
term 30 (always on 12v)
term 31 (ground)

Audi makes an official illuminated rings accessory, but only for the Q vehicles. You see it's not a simple hook up a power wire config:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...rings-3050106/
The lighting element has a control module that is connected to power, ground, and the two CAN lines to the normal headlamp.

Your DRLs are going to be on anytime term 15 is active, so finding a term 15 (ignition on) or even term 87 (engine active) line to use as a trigger would get the job done. So long as you use it only as a trigger for a relay and not as a direct power source.
Old Today, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which wire to tap in to?

I have an Audi SQ5 2018 B9 and just bought the Light up Emblem, which wire did you tap in to for the install? I saw the light grey wire is the best for this in another forums.