Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

A5 Sportsback 2019 low speed judder accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2023, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A5 Sportsback 2019 low speed judder accelerating

Hey all
Just got a used 2019 A5 Sportsback. Love the car but one issue i am having is when i first start to accelerate..it literally switches gears so fast (say like 5mph) that it kind of gives a judder. Once past that its fine but does it pretty much everytime. ANy ideas. Bringing it back in next week but im worried it will be the scan couldnt find anything..

Thanks
Old 01-21-2023, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tpaparazzo
Hey all
Just got a used 2019 A5 Sportsback. Love the car but one issue i am having is when i first start to accelerate..it literally switches gears so fast (say like 5mph) that it kind of gives a judder. Once past that its fine but does it pretty much everytime. ANy ideas. Bringing it back in next week but im worried it will be the scan couldnt find anything..

Thanks
These cars take off in second gear and will likely shift early, at least that is how the A4 I drove was. Being in too low of a gear at a low speed induces a judder your talking about if you've ever drove manual. If it's something different, I'd like to hear what it is.
The following users liked this post:
SloopJohnB@mac.com (01-21-2023)
Old 01-21-2023, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Try taking off in Sport mode, dynamic, etc.

Originally Posted by tpaparazzo
Hey all

Thanks
Like someone has said, efficient or comfort, whatever, starts in 2nd gear and if you tromp on it it may drop to first.
Old 02-13-2023, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just picked up my 2019 sportback today!

Is it possible that the car is learning your driving style and struggling?

Also, do you know how to turn on the ambient in the cabin (footwells)?

Great choice of car. Enjoy
Old 02-13-2023, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh, and a couple questions: does this shifting behavior happen in all driving modes?

Did you car come with an owner's manual?
Old 02-14-2023, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

took to the dealer. They couldn't reproduce they said..its there..it happens in all driving modes(auto) more in D then S. In manual no issues. I just drive in manual now, but it is a bit annoying. Honestly I had a loaner and the loaner did similar although not as bad. Maybe its just me coming from a Jeep Wrangler with 35s and 4 inch lift .

Old 02-14-2023, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 522 Likes on 357 Posts

I have not had this issue, but did have something else that the dealer couldn't reproduce. I knew how to make it happen and took the service manager for a ride. Once he noticed it, he pulled in his lead technician as well and I was able to get it fixed.

I your issue is repeatable, you might try that approach. Best of luck with it.
Old 02-14-2023, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

You didn’t mention how many miles are on your car. Is it nearing the 40k DSG service or was it done by the previous owner? I too recently bought my 2019 and I’ve had mine coming up on 2 months, bought it as an off lease with 22.6k and am currently at 26k and haven’t had any issues with shifting or judder from a stop. I keep it in dynamic mode by the way.
Old Today, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m having the same juddering issues with my 2022 Q5 S-line. I feel like it’s getting worse and felt it might be due to the extremely hot weather. At first I thought the tires were sticking (ok might not make sense but I’m a woman sooooo) but it’s really annoying me now and I want to get it fixed.

Reading the threads, it appears having the differential fluid changed has helped. I’m not under warranty any longer and I have a good local garage I use. Do I book it in to have the fluid changed or take it to Audi and pray the bill won’t require a 2nd mortgage?? Advice appreciated
Old Today, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dawnrn
I’m having the same juddering issues with my 2022 Q5 S-line. I feel like it’s getting worse and felt it might be due to the extremely hot weather. At first I thought the tires were sticking (ok might not make sense but I’m a woman sooooo) but it’s really annoying me now and I want to get it fixed.

Reading the threads, it appears having the differential fluid changed has helped. I’m not under warranty any longer and I have a good local garage I use. Do I book it in to have the fluid changed or take it to Audi and pray the bill won’t require a 2nd mortgage?? Advice appreciated
I have 37k miles.