A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Audi A4 B9.5 2020 QQ2 Multicolour Ambient Light Retrofit DIY How To

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2023, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Audi A4 B9.5 2020 QQ2 Multicolour Ambient Light Retrofit DIY How To

Hello fellow Audi enthusiasts! This is a working forum on my progress of retrofitting the full QQ2 multicolour to my 2020 audi a4 black editon, which only had the QQ1 white leds fitted as standard. No shocker that audi dont fit QQ2 as standard. It's taken a long time to get to this stage due the research involved. I've never retrofitted anything before this so if I can do this anyone can!

For the 2020 b9.5 vehicles there are no footwell lights or door pocket lights as its seems audi would like to cut costs down even more than not fitting the lights as standard on an s line. I have a work around for this which I'll discuss in further posts. This will only be a high level overview of the retrofit, bit I'm happy to help wherever possible.

Introduction: To install the multicolour leds, you will need to add the additional wiring, new multicolour leds and coding to control the lights via the mmi. No, unfortunately its not a case of just coding as even I initially thought, its quite a bit more than that. This retrofit will work exactly as the factory fitted option. So you can individual control the surface and contour lights. The QQ1 leds will have to be removed to fit the new leds, as they only have 2 pins for positive and negative. The new QQ2 leds have 4 pins, pin 1 is for power and pin 4 is ground. Pin number 2 is for the input LIN which provides the data for the light colour and brightness. Pin 3 is LIN out which can be used to daisy chain the LIN from one LED to another. I used 1 ground for the whole lighting so far, which is attached to a ground point on a car.​​​​​​​
The BCM1 is the body control module, which is where we will get the power from and the 2 LIN wires from for the lights. There are 2 LIN wires needed, one for the centre console cupholders. The other is for all the doors and the centre console saddle lights. The BCM1 is located on the passenger side front left A pillar for a RHD car. I think it's the same for a LHD car. On the BCM the connector T73a is where we attached the pins for the power and LIN. The power is taken from t73a connector and pin number 59. There is a white tab that you press and then lift up to remove the connector. There are then 2 tabs at the bottom of the connector where the wires pass. You press these tabs and it allows the connector to slide out.The connector is labelled every few pins to its easy to locate the correct location. You will need the following terminals to connect to the BCM; 000979009E. ​​​​​​​Pin 27 in T73a is used for the ​​​​​​​Cupholder lights and pin 28 is for the rest of the lights.​​​​​​​I'll post the correct leds needed for a 2020 b9.5 A4 which I think is the same as an S4 and RS4. Thanks - A​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
downloadfile.PDF (2.48 MB, 702 views)
File Type: pdf
20230122_154453.PDF (5.98 MB, 659 views)

Last edited by A4BE; 02-12-2023 at 05:59 AM.
Old 02-12-2023, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Old 02-12-2023, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Coding: You need to use VCDS and VCP to code the ambient light menu in the mmi. The coding also allows the led modules to light up. You cannot use just OBD11 or just VCDS you need VCP as well. I tried to activate the lights by just using OBD11 but after many failed attempts trying everything I still could not get the light menu to show in the mmi. I found out that the BCM1 needed the dataset for the lights flashed so the car knows to turn on the individual lights. So VCP can do this and I found a forum on rosstech which details this: https://forums.ross-tech.com/index.php?threads/21612/ As I do not have VCP or VCDS, I had a local mobile coder do this. He was very knowledgeable about VAG cars and had all the genuine software as well. I would recommend mobile coders as you can get the menu activated at comfort of your home.
Old 05-17-2023, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, thanks for guide. Could you please post a list of parts that needs to be ordered for this retrofit?
Personally, I would be fine with only adding contour lighting (in white) if that's easier and keep everything else as is. Let me know if you have any information on that.
Old 05-18-2023, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sshamim
Hi, thanks for guide. Could you please post a list of parts that needs to be ordered for this retrofit?
Personally, I would be fine with only adding contour lighting (in white) if that's easier and keep everything else as is. Let me know if you have any information on that.
hi there, yes I can post the list of parts needed. It would be easier if I knew what car you had as its different between models. Do you currently have any ambient lights in the doors (white ones?). If you just want white contour lights then it's much less wiring.
Old 05-18-2023, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by A4BE
hi there, yes I can post the list of parts needed. It would be easier if I knew what car you had as its different between models. Do you currently have any ambient lights in the doors (white ones?). If you just want white contour lights then it's much less wiring.
Thanks. I have a 2023 A4 B9.5 LHD with P+ package. So yes, I have the white ones.

All I'm looking for is adding a basic contour light and/or something like this for center dash trim (which looks like it require the Prestige multi-color trim as it connects to the footwell lights. So wondering how/if they work with my car).
Old 05-18-2023, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks. I have a 2023 A4 B9.5 LHD with P+ package. So yes, I have the white ones.

All I'm looking for is adding a basic contour light and/or something like this for center dash trim (which looks like it require the Prestige multi-color trim as it connects to the footwell lights. So wondering how/if they work with my car).
okay so for the dash strip it's quite easy to add as its just a light tube with led modules on the end. The kit includes multicolour leds but if you want just white ones you should be able to replace these with genuine white lights. I would probably tap into the cupholder lights rather than the footwells just in case. This way the lights will turn on with the other ambient lights.

For the door contour lights, before I did my qq2 retrofit I just soldered an extra white led to the original white car light and I purchased the contour door strips that has the light guides. This adds the contour lights to the car. Its quite simple to do and just involves soldering the 2 wires. You can also purchase these contour strips on ali if you want , i went with oem ones as I bought the door cards on ebay with them in.
The following users liked this post:
sshamim (05-18-2023)
Old 05-18-2023, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

okay so for the dash strip it's quite easy to add as its just a light tube with led modules on the end. The kit includes multicolour leds but if you want just white ones you should be able to replace these with genuine white lights. I would probably tap into the cupholder lights rather than the footwells just in case. This way the lights will turn on with the other ambient lights.

For the door contour lights, before I did my qq2 retrofit I just soldered an extra white led to the original white car light and I purchased the contour door strips that has the light guides. This adds the contour lights to the car. Its quite simple to do and just involves soldering the 2 wires. You can also purchase these contour strips on ali if you want , i went with oem ones as I bought the door cards on ebay with them in.
Thanks. I think I should start with contour lights. I was planning to follow this guide, but someone said it may not work on face lifted (2020+) models. Do you have any info on that?
Old 05-18-2023, 10:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks. I think I should start with contour lights. I was planning to follow this guide, but someone said it may not work on face lifted (2020+) models. Do you have any info on that?
hi yes I tried to do something similar. If you use a non oem led then it will turn off that led when plugged in. Only the white ones work. I added contour lights on my 2020 a4 and it worked fine, so long as the lights are oem. You can change rhe colour of the lights if you desolder the led bulb you can resolder a different colour one.
The following users liked this post:
sshamim (05-18-2023)
Old 05-18-2023, 10:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

hi yes I tried to do something similar. If you use a non oem led then it will turn off that led when plugged in. Only the white ones work. I added contour lights on my 2020 a4 and it worked fine, so long as the lights are oem. You can change rhe colour of the lights if you desolder the led bulb you can resolder a different colour one.
Got it. Do you happen to have the part number for OEM white led light? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Audi A4 B9.5 2020 QQ2 Multicolour Ambient Light Retrofit DIY How To