Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

High mileage maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2023, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High mileage maintenance?

I’m looking at buying a used Q5, would love to get the newer style 2018 or newer.

many of these have higher mileage.

when have folks seen bigger jobs like timing belt and other items that need replacing.

what should I ask the seller/dealer to preemptively do before my purchase.
Old 03-15-2023, 10:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

It's got timing chain; maintenance free.
Old 03-16-2023, 02:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 911 Likes on 745 Posts

Originally Posted by Humble Bear
It's got timing chain; maintenance free.
Until the guides or tensioners let go.
The following users liked this post:
uberwgn (03-18-2023)
Old 03-16-2023, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Define high miles. Average for a 2018 would be around 80,000. We bought ours in December with slightly under 50,000. The original owners traded it because they believed, rightly, "Never own a German car after the warranty expires."

jack vines
Old 03-17-2023, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Anyone has >100K on the 2nd Gen Q5? I am curious to know what are the common problems. Mine only has 37K .
Old 03-17-2023, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 157 Likes on 107 Posts

Look on YouTube for the “car wizard” he recently did routine maintenance on a 2018 Q5 with 200k miles. Everything was perfect and the owner had all maintenance records.

keep up with the maintenance and it will
last a long time, and I mean don’t skip any maintenance!

I’ve got 80k on mine and I’m the second owner, I’ve had to do a few thing’s beyond maintenance but nothing too major.

water pump replaced under warranty at 72k
replaced a lift gate motor due to squealing noise, it cost me about $150(did it myself in about an hour and bought a used motor). I’ve never heard of anyone else having to do this repair so I think it was a total fluke on my car

interior is flawless , even the leather drivers seat still looks new(I condition the leather maybe twice a year and I have two young kids. It’s definitely not babied).

still on the factory brakes but I already know it’s going to be expensive when it’s time. These brakes also work way better than they should, quality and performance parts just cost more money
Humble Bear (03-17-2023)
Old 03-17-2023, 07:49 PM
TJK
AudiWorld Member

Received 203 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by toomanymc
Look on YouTube for the “car wizard” he recently did routine maintenance on a 2018 Q5 with 200k miles. Everything was perfect and the owner had all maintenance records.

keep up with the maintenance and it will
last a long time, and I mean don’t skip any maintenance!

I’ve got 80k on mine and I’m the second owner, I’ve had to do a few thing’s beyond maintenance but nothing too major.

water pump replaced under warranty at 72k
replaced a lift gate motor due to squealing noise, it cost me about $150(did it myself in about an hour and bought a used motor). I’ve never heard of anyone else having to do this repair so I think it was a total fluke on my car

interior is flawless , even the leather drivers seat still looks new(I condition the leather maybe twice a year and I have two young kids. It’s definitely not babied).

still on the factory brakes but I already know it’s going to be expensive when it’s time. These brakes also work way better than they should, quality and performance parts just cost more money
you’re on factory brakes at 80,000 miles? Lol - no way. By the way, brakes parts-wise are cheap. The labor dealers charge is a rip off. Do them yourself or find an independent shop and save $1,000.
hammergjh (03-22-2023)
Old 03-17-2023, 10:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I can't really comment on Q5 brake longevity as my 2019 Q5 only has 25K miles, but I have an A6 3.0t that I bought a while back from the original owner. It has 86K and DOES still have the original brakes on it.

I had a long conversation with the owner after going through the full maintenance records that he gave me, and did not find any record of a brake change. He assured me that it had not. So I'm not sure how the brake wear should compare between the Q5 and A6, but I think it just shows that how a car has been driven has a whole lot to do with the service you get out of some of the parts.......
Old 03-18-2023, 04:29 AM
TJK
AudiWorld Member

Received 203 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedwrench
I can't really comment on Q5 brake longevity as my 2019 Q5 only has 25K miles, but I have an A6 3.0t that I bought a while back from the original owner. It has 86K and DOES still have the original brakes on it.

I had a long conversation with the owner after going through the full maintenance records that he gave me, and did not find any record of a brake change. He assured me that it had not. So I'm not sure how the brake wear should compare between the Q5 and A6, but I think it just shows that how a car has been driven has a whole lot to do with the service you get out of some of the parts.......
I guess miracles happen. If you drive 80k miles and the vast majority is highway driving with almost no stops, then I guess so. Q5 is significantly heavier than a sedan so that’ll also affect pad life. But honestly anything over 40-50k is pretty remarkable.
Old 03-18-2023, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts

We still have the original brakes on our 2018 Q5 with 65,000 miles. We do a lot of highway driving.

Quick Reply: High mileage maintenance?