Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Wormy Smell inside?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2023, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 64 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Wormy Smell inside?

Hey guys!

Wondering if any of you have had this issue with their Q8/SQ8/RSQ8.

Sometimes (can't really figure out when/why it happens) but when I open the door in the morning, there is a VERY strong wormy smell, yes wormy/earthy smell. It goes away after a few minutes of driving and usually doesn't come back the same day. So it tends to happen when I first enter the car in the morning.
The interesting thing is that I noticed this same thing with my previous 2022 RSQ8 as well. I got my 2023 RSQ8 in December and being that it was much cooler outside, I never had the smell until earlier this spring when the weather finally warmed up.

Any one else notice this? And if so, any idea what it could be?
Old 06-27-2023, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 416 Likes on 353 Posts

if your last vehicle had it sounds like ur describing a smell that’s a characteristic of one of the glues, foams or some other material. have u tried seeing if another car on the dealers lot has the same smell in the same circumstance?
Old 06-27-2023, 08:22 AM
a75
AudiWorld Member

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by SlammedR8
Hey guys!

Sometimes (can't really figure out when/why it happens) but when I open the door in the morning, there is a VERY strong wormy smell, yes wormy/earthy smell. It goes away after a few minutes of driving and usually doesn't come back the same day. So it tends to happen when I first enter the car in the morning.
The interesting thing is that I noticed this same thing with my previous 2022 RSQ8 as well. I got my 2023 RSQ8 in December and being that it was much cooler outside, I never had the smell until earlier this spring when the weather finally warmed up.

Mine smells like leather even after 1.5 years.
Perhaps this is a personal perception?
Need to sniff more Audi cars)

My wife’s sense of smell suffered after the coronavirus, she doesn’t feel some smells at all, and some have changed.
Old 06-27-2023, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
if your last vehicle had it sounds like ur describing a smell that’s a characteristic of one of the glues, foams or some other material. have u tried seeing if another car on the dealers lot has the same smell in the same circumstance?
No, I haven't but I'm not sure what that would do as I have now experienced it in both of my RSQ8s. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue and if so, was there a solution. Even my young kids get in and say, "ewww, what's that smell in your car dad?"
Old 06-27-2023, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by a75
Mine smells like leather even after 1.5 years.
Perhaps this is a personal perception?
Need to sniff more Audi cars)

My wife’s sense of smell suffered after the coronavirus, she doesn’t feel some smells at all, and some have changed.
Mine is only 6 months old and in most cases it smells like leather, but the odd time I open the door and I want to nearly vomit it smells so bad. Like I said above, my kids are 5 and 7 and they think it's awful too. My wife has a super sensitive nose and she can't handle it at times.
Old 06-27-2023, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 416 Likes on 353 Posts

if you have lived in the same place and the smell started once weather warmed up: is there a chance you have small vermin around? it happens. my girlfriend had a mouse get into her car and die. it was in the cabin air filter. they didn’t identify the smell because they could not image it happening. all they knew was that it smelled bad. the wiring is made with soy casing and vermin are attracted to it. i recall reading something about it.
Old 06-27-2023, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Hey guys!

No issues here either. My 21 SQ8 still smells like leather every time I get in.
You get the earthy smell before you even start it so it’s not from the vents? I’m sure you leave all windows closed in the RS so it’s not picking up a smell from the garage?
Old 06-27-2023, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 205 Likes on 156 Posts

could it be related to AC use ? ie , a smelly filter ? I've never noticed this issue with my SQ8 but a BMW we had exibited a smell similar to what you describe and the AC was the culprit

Last edited by SQ8westcoast; 06-27-2023 at 02:17 PM.
Old 06-27-2023, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 811 Likes on 619 Posts

Hey guys!

It is possible that you have moisture in the soundproofing carpets. I'd check under the carpet in the driver's and passenger's footwells. To get there, you need to remove the sill trim strip and, after lifting the carpet, check with your hand for moisture.
Sometimes water gets there from a clogged sunroof drain.
Old 06-28-2023, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Is your HVAC set to auto?

Quick Reply: Wormy Smell inside?