Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Adaptive Light Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2023, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 145 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Adaptive Light Malfunction

Yesterday, I got the "Adaptive Light Malfunction" warning three separate times while I was on my way home from work. My commute is less than 10 minutes and the warnings all happened during that time span. I have briefly seen that warning appear a couple of times over the past year, but this time it was more persistent to the point where I saw the notice pop up on the MyAudi app. I made a service appointment right away and will drop the car off this Friday morning. The service department said that it would be a 3 hour job and suggested that I don't wait around. That's fine with me since I don't need any sales reps swarming me trying to get me to swap my '22 Chronos for a '24. That's what happened last time I was there for the 10k service.

Anyway, I barely made it a year with the etron and this is my first issue with the car. Has anyone else had this happen? I am wondering if it's a common problem.
Old 08-10-2023, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Okay then, given the radio silence I guess it's not a common problem which is a good thing. I will report back after I speak with the service tech and find out why the malfunction occurred.
Old 08-10-2023, 11:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sometimes I get the same error. It seems that when the car starts, there is a system check. Sometimes there are situations where someone passes by and problems arise. Just turn the car off and on again. Errors disappear.
Old 08-11-2023, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 713 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by Igor_UA
Sometimes I get the same error. It seems that when the car starts, there is a system check. Sometimes there are situations where someone passes by and problems arise. Just turn the car off and on again. Errors disappear.
^This. Since owning the car I have seen the warning a half dozen times. It always goes away on restart. I am in the US and I am not even convinced that the adaptive headlights do much except increase side angle when turning. But I have no idea really.
Old 08-11-2023, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll chime in, it won't likely help you, but maybe some others. This is common in older Audis and Vdubs, the heat and vapors inside the headlight fixture cause the wiring insulation to crack and in some cases crumble off the wires. There are a few YouTube DIYs on how to remove the headlight and repair the broken wire(s).

I am hoping someone here might know if there are OEM or AM harnesses that one could replace the entire wiring inside the headlamp.

Hope your service went well today.
Old 08-14-2023, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

I dropped the car off last Friday morning at 8am. The service advisor got back to me at the end of the day and said they were going to plug the car in overnight and run a software update that was released on June 13. I got the car back Saturday morning. Apparently, there was nothing mechanically wrong with the adaptive lights, and a software update supposedly fixed it. This leaves me wondering why the software update was not done when I had the 10k service done a few weeks ago. I'm guessing that they are not included in the Audicare services (which is pretty dumb in my opinion), and you have to wait until something goes wrong before they will run the update.
Old 08-31-2023, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thread update..... The Adaptive Light Malfunction warning appeared again today. It went off three times within a two minute interval. So, it does not appear that the software update solved the problem. I'm still not sure if the problem is mechanical, but something is up. Oh well, back to the dealership. I want to get this fixed while the car is still under warranty.
Old 08-31-2023, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 557 Likes on 413 Posts

Of course all the "adaptive" features in the main headlights are deactivated in the US. Could the problem be with the "turning" lights--the front sidelights--that are triggered by the steering wheel to come on when you turn in that direction?
Old 09-01-2023, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

I would take a photo each time this occurs and be sure to provide this to your service advisor. This might help them diagnose instead of just doing silly software updates to "solve" the problem. If it was purely a software issue, many of us would have the same issue. I have a late 2019 model (with much older software along the way) and have never had this warning.
Old 09-01-2023, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 273 Likes on 205 Posts

This happens very rarely to my car, but happens when all of the software doesn’t boot up correctly at start up

Consider starting the car, then placing your seatbelt then opening the garage door. In this way you should have given ample time for all systems to engage correctly
The following users liked this post:
coldrain85 (09-01-2023)

Quick Reply: Adaptive Light Malfunction