Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

2012 TDI Premium Plus Overland Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2023, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Default 2012 TDI Premium Plus Overland Build

Well, I've finally decided to do it.

My 2012 TDi, which has always been a Turo vehicle, and a good one, has had the front end, let's say... dimpled by the second Turo guest in 6 months.
I've decided to take my Turo payout and finally do what I've been toying with, for a good while, which is starting an overland build. It's been a good Turo vehicle, costing only $20k, and having earned close to $30k in a bit over two years. This year it's been down more than available.
This said, The reasoning is, I can take what Turo paid out, do a lot of the repair that has to be done, mainly cosmetic, (but a new hood, this time), and most all front end plastic.
A lot of the mods you have to make will be a lot easier to do concurrently with the repairs, and some of the mods, might make some parts salvageable, that wouldn't have been in returning it to stock.

Once completed, It's not out of the realm of possibility that the 7 couldn't rent for twice what it is now, as just a better looking vehicle, and a weekend glamping overlander.

I might have messed it up already, or made it cooler. We'll see.

I just ordered 5 x BBS SR wheels in 18x8 size. These are road wheels, and I'm not sure if it's going to look strange without the typical Black Rhino fake beadlock look, but we'll see. I think it's kind of nice to keep a German wheel on a German vehicle. Hopefully, a fair amount of the "Look" will come from the 275/70-18 Goodyear Wrangler Territory MT's. They are fairly knobby, so should help. They actually look pretty good as a road wheel.
Anyway, the BBS's were on sale for $290 per, and most of the Black Rhinos were at least $320. The Goodyears were also on sale for $224/per tire, so, not bad for fairly large tires with decent reviews. I like TireRack, and buy most of my car/Autocross tires from them as well, and they will come already mounted, and shipped for free.

Next orders will be from Eurowise, as one might imagine.

3" lift with tubular upper A arms.
1" Subframe Drop kit
30mm wheel spacers
Audi Q7 Winch Mount - assuming it doesn't require relocation of the intercoolers, but maybe still if it does. I think going with the 275 tires, already requires that they move.
Might go with a Eurowise swingout hitch tire carrier, but it's more likely that I'll be getting a Wilco Hitchgate Switch. It's adjustable, for spacing to the back window, and has the angle I'd like. If it's not perfect, I think it will be the easiest to hack.

This is my inspiration:

There is at least one build that did 295's, which looked too big to me, and 265's look too small. The build above, is 275/70's, which seems to please my eye. (33" tires)
I'm not sure if the Bronze is obnoxious or not, I kind of like it, but the S/O nixed it.

It looks so good from the front that I'm a little worried fabbing it more, might ruin it.

Then it will get fun/interesting, as I'll start my own customization from there.

There will be some sort of bull bar or brush guard built off the Eurowise winch mount. 1.5' - 2.0" tubing.
I'll likely try to relocate the current fog lights into a small light bar. Just a thought.
This is what Eurowise has done from the winchplate.

I'll likely bring some skid plates up to the winch plate mounted bar, running down to a likely Eurowise front front suspension skidplate. We'll see how my welding goes.
Then an Extruded aluminum 8020 roof rack. I have about a $400 budget for this. Think it's doable. It' will get a hardshell roof top tent that is fairly removable. The tent will then get rooftop solar, as most of my current projects revolve around that, including the current offgrid 3600 watt array we're building to charge our 2023 Ford Lightning.
After this is all completed, then I'll take a look at rock rails and more underchassis protection.

Call me crazy, but I can't really back out now... 5 Wheels and 5 tires are on the way... If anyone else has any ideas, let them fly ! I guess if the wheels don't make me happy, lol, they would actually fit on my Cayman.
It will be good to have a full size spare, for Turo, because, bit of Trivia, One of Elon Musk's Baby Mommy 's rented it once. Pretty sure when it had a flat, Elon was the "Colleague" that helped put fix a flat in it. I brought a replacement vehicle out to the mansion that he was reported to be staying in.

Last edited by patstat; 10-30-2023 at 10:25 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by patstat:
'10Q7TDI_Prestige' (10-30-2023), -Wes- (10-30-2023)
Old 10-30-2023, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 353 Likes on 296 Posts

I like the bronze wheels with that color Q. I really like the lifted look. I think I might do this with my current 07' Vr6 when it's time to get another MK1 with lower mileage. I took my Q through some pretty deep snow last winter and even with the lo-pro a/s tires it performed very well. I was keeping up with a guy in a gladiator.

I think if I did this I would have to smoke all the lights, including any i put on. Then delete any remaining chrome on my lava grey Q. I think that would look more aggressive.

Good luck with the build, post some pics.
Old 10-30-2023, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 274 Likes on 235 Posts

Stop it! I'm now missing my Q7 as my daily. Thanks a lot.

I decided to put it to bed for the winter because I have to tear into it again to hunt down coolant leaks.
Old 11-01-2023, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

3" lift kit with tubular upper arms ordered.

Actually, may change those arms out with these:

Wondering now about Silver or Black 8020 rack parts. With the Gunmetal rims, and the amount of Chrome on the 7, that I'm not removing, or blacking out, I think a Silver rack might look Ok, and a Black rack might not. I'm also not removing the stock rails. I'm going to drill and tap mount holes for the rack in the stock rack.

Last edited by patstat; 11-01-2023 at 09:47 AM.
Old 11-01-2023, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Just curious where the parts are coming from?
Old 11-01-2023, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Eurowise.

I'll probably be getting their Q7 winch mount as well.

Last edited by patstat; 11-01-2023 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11-01-2023, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

Good work. Eurowise, Darkside, PRG Products are sources parts....I'll have to dig up links for a few others.

I wish I could do the same....but overland and towing don't go together.
The following users liked this post:
-Wes- (11-08-2023)
Old 11-07-2023, 09:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Apparently, it's parts day... everything, all at once...

Still not entirely sure how I feel about the gunmetal wheels. A little worried it's just going to end up looking like a hooptie. It makes me think I'll make a silver 8020 rack now, and might powdercoat any bumper I buy/build gunmetal.

not sure yet.

Last edited by patstat; 11-08-2023 at 05:28 AM.
Itsbrokeagain (11-13-2023)
Old 11-08-2023, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Those wheels are awesome..
-Wes- (11-08-2023)
Old 11-08-2023, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 274 Likes on 235 Posts

Holy heck. LOL This thing is going to be a monster. Are you actually expecting Turo customers to do overlanding with it?

Quick Reply: 2012 TDI Premium Plus Overland Build