Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

18 SQ5 - Radio on, no volume

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2023, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts
Default 18 SQ5 - Radio on, no volume

All of a sudden yesterday when I leave the house in the morning I noticed the sound from the audio system wasn't right (listening to satellite radio) and I soon realized the only speaker with sound was the front speakers. Had a chance to pull over and all 4 door speakers silent. First time I have had this happen.
Before I turn car off at my appointment I turn off radio before I turn off car. When I return I start car and then turn on radio and getting sound from all speakers again.
This morning I start car and no sound at all from sound system, at my first stop I turn radio off before turning off car. When I come back I start car and then turn radio on, sound from all speakers again.
I need to get a few minutes and do a VCDS scan to see if I have any codes but posting this to see if anyone has experienced this?
Old 11-29-2023, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 213 Likes on 174 Posts

I would do an MMI reset first. Both toggle buttons forward while pushing down on the round ****. When you let go it resets.
The following users liked this post:
RCPrato (11-30-2023)
Old 12-03-2023, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did the problem resolve?
Old 12-04-2023, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have not experienced this problem since the day after this happened and unfortunately have had not had time to run the VCDS diagnostics to see if any codes showed up. We have a new puppy that at 4 months doesn't give me a lot of free time.
Since it's working I am not going to try the MMI reboot, if it's not broke don't fix it mentality works for me.
Old 06-29-2024, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No sound

Originally Posted by RCPrato
I have not experienced this problem since the day after this happened and unfortunately have had not had time to run the VCDS diagnostics to see if any codes showed up. We have a new puppy that at 4 months doesn't give me a lot of free time.
Since it's working I am not going to try the MMI reboot, if it's not broke don't fix it mentality works for me.

same here 2018 Q5 No sound from system. Turn on and off
reboot/reset
pulling fuse from infotainment on driver side
remove SD and SIM card ( from other board)

still nothing
Old 06-30-2024, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

I believe installing a new battery in my 18 SQ5 a few months ago may have fixed the problem, I have not had this issue since then.

When I was having this problem prior to replacing my battery I did a scan with my Ross-Tech VCDS program and there was a soft code in there for Energy Management System - Active and from doing some searching that can be active when the battery is loosing power and shuts some systems off to conserve battery. Once I replaced the battery this code is gone. I had a couple of other soft codes that I don't remember what they were that disappeared after replacing the battery. 6 years on the OEM battery is a long time.

So if your 18 SQ5 has the original battery I would suggest you replace it with the appropriate battery for your SQ5, it's time regardless.

When I was having this problem I would turn radio off before turning car off, lock the doors and when I came back an hour later start the car and then after 10-15 seconds turn radio on. This used to work for me.

If you have not replaced battery and decide to do that, post back if it fixes your problem with radio. My bad for not finding this post and updating it, may have helped you.
Old 06-30-2024, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

I did a

a scan. I got a few of these codes. Not sure if it’s still related to the battery
Old 06-30-2024, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 352 Likes on 276 Posts

I'd try clearing those codes and see if they come back. The tuner one will always be there (unless you subscribe to sat radio). The other ones would explain no audio though.

Might also be worth disconnecting the battery for a couple minutes and re-connecting it to see if it heals itself.
Old 07-01-2024, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

@TDRAG97 if you haven't replaced the battery and it is still the original battery in there from factory you should replace battery first before trying anything else.
Old 07-01-2024, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RCPrato
@TDRAG97 if you haven't replaced the battery and it is still the original battery in there from factory you should replace battery first before trying anything else.
@RCPrato even if battery is good? Still reading 13v on standby

Quick Reply: 18 SQ5 - Radio on, no volume