A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash Screen Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2024, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Dash Screen Question

Hoping someone can help with this one. The section of the center cluster between the tach and speedo is dynamic and can be set to different screens. I prefer the moving map, or the music. The problem is every time I shut the car off, and restart it, it seems to default to the time / date screen. I'll add pics here to show what I'm talking about if I didn't explain it well.

It just seems like that screen would default (at start-up) to whatever screen was selected the car shut down. Has anyone else noticed this, or is there a setting I am missing? Or is it just another gremlin in my particular car that needs to be troubleshot?

Thanks folks!

Screen selected at shut down.

Screen that the car defaults to on start-up.
Old 06-15-2024, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 410 Likes on 292 Posts

Hmm, are you a saved user/profile? My profile is loaded when I unlock the car with my keyfob, and everything goes back to where it was when I turned off the car.
The following users liked this post:
angrypengu (06-15-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DallasDave
Hmm, are you a saved user/profile? My profile is loaded when I unlock the car with my keyfob, and everything goes back to where it was when I turned off the car.
yes, I am a saved user and the welcome screen that comes on when entering the car allows me to confirm that I am in fact the user entering the car. That said, the screen in the middle continues to default to the time and date setting 8/10 times. ON a rare occasion, it will stay on the screen selected when the car was shut down, but that's not common at all.
Old 06-17-2024, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

My A8 does that exact same thing. If I change it back to the map (where I like it) and get out of the car for a short time, like say the grocery store or something when I get back in the map is usually back up. If I park the car overnight and get in it the next morning it usually comes up with the date and time screen. So frustrating.... because my A6 with the exact same dash, I never had it switched screens and always came up with the map. I have tried playing the whole user/profile thing, I am the key user or whatever they call that and still it never remembers my dash setting. Seats, mirrors, all that's good but not the dash screen.
Old 06-17-2024, 11:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug S
My A8 does that exact same thing. If I change it back to the map (where I like it) and get out of the car for a short time, like say the grocery store or something when I get back in the map is usually back up. If I park the car overnight and get in it the next morning it usually comes up with the date and time screen. So frustrating.... because my A6 with the exact same dash, I never had it switched screens and always came up with the map. I have tried playing the whole user/profile thing, I am the key user or whatever they call that and still it never remembers my dash setting. Seats, mirrors, all that's good but not the dash screen.
By the way, it looks so much nicer if you use MyAudi to buy the Google Earth satellite maps via the Audi MMI 😃
Old 06-18-2024, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 410 Likes on 292 Posts

By the way, it looks so much nicer if you use MyAudi to buy the Google Earth satellite maps via the Audi MMI 😃

Thanks for mentioning this. Please save me the trouble of contacting Audi, how much is the annual subscription? I had this in my D4 S8 until it was discontinued and would love to have it back in the D5. I know, I know, CarPlay with Google Maps is a fantastic alternative but I like it in the center display and/or in the HUD.
Old 06-18-2024, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DallasDave

Thanks for mentioning this. Please save me the trouble of contacting Audi, how much is the annual subscription? I had this in my D4 S8 until it was discontinued and would love to have it back in the D5. I know, I know, CarPlay with Google Maps is a fantastic alternative but I like it in the center display and/or in the HUD.
It just looks classy in the virtual cockpit on the full screen map view and it makes it dead easy to navigate by looking at buildings etc even when you haven't entered a destination. Not sure about the US$ cost but UK was £13/month so maybe $16 ? For a fully integrated look and feel, I think that's decent value.
The following users liked this post:
DallasDave (06-18-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 920 Likes on 641 Posts

It's about $200/year for us in Canada IIRC. Probably about the same for the US.

I didn't buy it. I'm a Waze guy. I need to know where the police are
Old 06-19-2024, 12:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
It's about $200/year for us in Canada IIRC. Probably about the same for the US.

I didn't buy it. I'm a Waze guy. I need to know where the police are
I pay $49.00 USD a month for the Audi Connect and another $10.00 a month for the AT&T cellular plan to have the Wi-Fi in the car. The Audi Connect is cheaper if you purchase in blocks of something like 6, 12, or 18 months but I found if you crash or sell your vehicle you don't get that money back and the plan is not transferable to your next Audi vehicle. So, when I just dropped, I think it was 500 bucks for a year plan and then totaled my A6 a month into it, you are out that $460-ish bucks and then have to buy a new plan with your next vehicle. So, I do month to month so that will never happen again...
Old 06-19-2024, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Doug S
I pay $49.00 USD a month for the Audi Connect and another $10.00 a month for the AT&T cellular plan to have the Wi-Fi in the car. The Audi Connect is cheaper if you purchase in blocks of something like 6, 12, or 18 months but I found if you crash or sell your vehicle you don't get that money back and the plan is not transferable to your next Audi vehicle. So, when I just dropped, I think it was 500 bucks for a year plan and then totaled my A6 a month into it, you are out that $460-ish bucks and then have to buy a new plan with your next vehicle. So, I do month to month so that will never happen again...
I think you are getting ripped off - it's the equivalent of $170 a year in the UK. Are you sure it's $49x12 a year = $598 ??

Quick Reply: Dash Screen Question