Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Fuse location Q7 stuck in park

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2024, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuse location Q7 stuck in park

Hi.
I have an Audi Q7 with issues. It regularly but not always gets stuck in park, won't allow the gear stick to shift. Turn off ignition 2 min wait and it's fine again.
First question is where is the fuse that controls the gear stick solinoid located?
Thanks in advance.
Ps if it's a really dumb question and you think I should start by looking at a different solution feel free to let me know.
Old 06-24-2024, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2,065 Likes on 1,759 Posts

Always state the model year. For the Q7, the primary question will be is it a type 4L or type 4M. But the wiring is wildly different between the two.
Old 06-24-2024, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SMac770
Always state the model year. For the Q7, the primary question will be is it a type 4L or type 4M. But the wiring is wildly different between the two.
Sorry it's a
Audi Q7 SUV3.0 TDI Quattro SE (8 speed) 5d Tip Auto 2011/11
Old 06-24-2024, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Update

Hi I have tried a little trouble shooting.
6 out of ten times the car starts and changes up and down the gears perfectly, you can switch it over to tiptronic and again operates perfectly.

However stop and put the car into reverse, it reverses fine but once you go back into drive it sticks in first gear.
If you stop and go into park it won't come out, it's possible to override but then it's stuck in first.

If I stop, switch off the engine do a gear box reset 3 mins it's been too fine again?

How this helps a bit
Thanks
Old 06-24-2024, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2,065 Likes on 1,759 Posts

So a type 4L (aka Mk1 Q7). The 4L is not platform MLB; it predates the modular platform era. It's platform PL71, shared with the original Touareg and Cayenne. The 8-speed automatic on the 4L is the type 0C8, by Aisin, not ZF.

The shift lock solenoid N110 has no fuse. It's connected to ground on pin 2, connected to the J217 TCM on pin 1. So the power is applied directly by the J217. But getting stuck in park is a completely different problem than the transmission won't shift from first to second.

You can look over the gear selector mechanism in the 4L in SSP 363, pages 12-15. Google search "audi ssp 363".

You really do need to get something like VCDS so you can scan the vehicle for errors, see if the vehicle already knows there's problems. But so you can also look at the computer's opinion of the shifter state. It appears the shifter on the 4L doesn't use magnets and hall sensors for position awareness?

You probably would want to ask this type of technical issue question in the actual 4L Q7 (Mk1 Q7) vehicle forum, rather than the new member intro forum. It might be something commonly known there. You should be able to ask admin to move the thread.
Old 06-25-2024, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the help, I have posted the question in the forum you suggested.
Hopefully I will get some feed back.
I did try taking it to a garage, they started well talking about testing switches etc.
Unfortunately after that call they stopped answering the phone, didn't respond to any texts and after 5 weeks I managed to locate spare keys and got the vehicle back.
Old 06-26-2024, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Did you check the fuse box under the passenger seat? Sometimes it's hidden there.
Old 07-03-2024, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

the primary question will be is it a type 4L or type 4M. But the wiring is wildly different between the two.

Last edited by HazelMenziez; 07-03-2024 at 08:00 AM.
Old 07-03-2024, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks.
I have been told it's a 4l , also there is no fuse for the gear shift solenoid. ,( it's described above in some detail).
I am getting it hooked up to a computer tomorrow and then we will have a better idea of the error codes.
To me it seems strange that it's so intermittent.
Old 07-03-2024, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 778 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by Cluelessq Q7
Thanks.
I have been told it's a 4l , also there is no fuse for the gear shift solenoid. ,( it's described above in some detail).
I am getting it hooked up to a computer tomorrow and then we will have a better idea of the error codes.
To me it seems strange that it's so intermittent.
The lockout/safety feature on the transmission gear selector is triggered by a switch on the brake pedal, which can fail or come loose. When the car is in idling in Park, just touch the brake pedal and you should easily be able to hear the solenoid move to unlock the shifter mechanism, etc. If you are experiencing odd shifting problems with the transmission, then the ATF (trans fluid) may be low and requiring servicing. It's vitally important you understand NONE of the driveline lubricants on the 4L Q7 were ever serviced by Audi dealers. This includes the front/rear differentials fluid, the transfer case fluid, and yes, the all important transmission fluid and system filter, etc. And don't forget to check the condition of the hydraulic/power-steering fluid as well.

The brake fluid is listed on the maintenance intervals (every two years service interval), but Audi didn't do us any favors regards to servicing the driveline fluids, claiming they are sealed systems and 'lifetime fluids', etc. Yeah, sure they are...

Quick Reply: Fuse location Q7 stuck in park