A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

Trim Restorer Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2024, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 368 Likes on 284 Posts
Default Trim Restorer Advice

The black plastic trim around the wheel arches on my 2021 allroad is once again starting to look not so black. I have used products like Back to Black in the past. They look good initially; but, I find the looking good part disappears pretty quickly, typically two weeks or less. While trolling the auto cleaner shelves at my local Canadian Tire, I noticed a product sold by SansZo, a trim restorer kit that they describe as semi permanent. It appears to be a one time kit. A little pricey; but, not as much as some of the other trim stuff.

Does anybody have experience with the SansZo or any other trim restorer product that lasts more than a couple of weeks?
Old 06-25-2024, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

142, try a product by Carpro called Dlux. Best of its kind, lasts many months. Maybe up to 1 year. Outstanding result.
Old 06-25-2024, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Is that the same thing as the CQuartz Carpro DLUX Plastics and Wheels Coating? It has been 4 or 5 years since I tried a C Quartz ceramic paint finish product and I was completely underwhelmed with the result so based upon my past experience I would be disinclined.

I read the on-line instructions. For textured surfaces (the Audi wheel well trim) it says
  • On the textured trim, don't wipe it on, just be sure to apply it evenly as mentioned.
Not exactly clear how you are supposed to apply it evenly if you can't wipe it on. The product description says the bottle is 30ml (two tablespoons!). Is that enough to do all the lower black plastic trim on the allroad?
Old 06-26-2024, 01:49 AM
Mendoza line user

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey there, 142. I use Griot’s Black Shine Trim Restorer on my motorcycle luggage, which I am guessing is a similar finish as the wheel arches. I reapply every year to maintain a “fresh” look.
Old 06-26-2024, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

@142 guy , yes, that is the correct product. Sorry to hear you haven't had good luck with it. I've done 5 - 6 different cars and have had nothing but great results and longevity. Granted, these are well-kept cars and are mostly garaged. Is it possible you are facing much tougher environmental conditions compared to what we might see in terms of winter garbage, etc?

Surface prep for products like this is critical and the manufacturers are emphasizing that more than ever. I typically pre-clean all surfaces with an all-purpose cleaner and a small, soft scrub brush when working on textured plastic. I applied the DLUX using a small microfiber applicator. I simply permit the product to dry and that was the end of it. Nothing but factory-fresh plastic after that.

If you are in a tough environment, I think you need to use some type of ceramic coating that is specific to plastic. There are many new products out, I don’t know what to suggest except maybe try the Cerakote Trim product. We can buy that at W*mart for $17. It’s a small box that contains wipes.

I can imagine this is a bigger task when the Allroad presents all its surface area, and you need something that lasts. Can’t blame you at all.

Here is the guidance from Carpro on application:
  1. When applying it is VERY important to work one area in even as you go.
  2. Start in one corner and work out! Do not take on a huge area at once.
  3. Apply nice and even as you go. Do not try to spread too thin but be sure to work it to an even coat in the first minute before moving to the next overlapping area. After a minute you should not be going back over that area.
  4. On textured trim do not wipe it off, just be sure you apply EVENLY and fully into the texture.
  5. Let the applicator with a strip of DLUX and spread evenly across a small area at a time.

https://www.carpro-us.com/wheels-tri...-coating-30ml/

A couple of recent videos on trim restorers for entertainment:

Last edited by uberwgn; 06-26-2024 at 05:06 AM.
Old 06-26-2024, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Old 06-26-2024, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The Cerakote wipes look like a product that might be more appealing to me, particularly from the application perspective. It appears that both the Cerkote and the Carpro Dlux have a slightly glossy appearance. My trim appears to be closer to a matt. Have tried the Dlux product on allroad wheel trim and how does it look?
Old Yesterday, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User