A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Lots of issues after cam girdle / chain tensioner fix

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2024, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lots of issues after cam girdle / chain tensioner fix

So I just completed the dreaded oil leak fix which included resealing cam girdle (with anaerobic), new gaskets for spark plug wells and gasket cover. Also replaced a lot of other parts while having everything opened (new timing chain tensioners, new water pump, thermostat, oil separator, coolant sensor, coolant cross over pipe, spark plugs, ignition coils, oil filer housing gasket, oil pressure switch (was getting an error message).
Upon first start was slow to start and when finally after 4-5 tries finally started, but lots of vibration and very low idle. All types of warnings and when scanned with OBD a ton of fault codes. Mostly mis fires, fuel injector, fuel rail pressure sensor, idle control, etc...before this repair the car ran great except a pretty substantial oil leak and a giant cloud of white smoke on cold start which is why I decided to make the repair.
Any suggestions?
Only issue on the repair was the cam girdle on passenger side needed some force to get it to seat. otherwise no issues with the repair.
It's a A6C6 Quattro with 190k miles.
Is it time to call in professional?
Thanks
Old 06-27-2024, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 145 Likes on 126 Posts

Which engine?

Can you post the scan DTC’s? Ideally a detailed scan from a tool like VCDS and not a generic OBD reader.
Old 06-28-2024, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The engine is a 3.2. I only own a OBR scanner…

Old 06-28-2024, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, call in a professional if you do not have VCDS. But make sure they have VCDS/Audi diagnostic tools first......
Old 06-28-2024, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Were the misfires on the left or right side? I had something similar happen after a major surgery and it turned out that the fuel injection/ignition harness had become partially unplugged. It is on a bracket close to oil filter housing so you may have disturbed it and not known it. The connector for the other side is much more accessible and easy to check.
Old 06-28-2024, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks. Misfires in 4,5,6. I did have to remove the brack in front of oil filter housing and disconnect those wires so I’ll take a closer look. Thanks for the suggestion
Old 06-28-2024, 11:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 164 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by ob44
Only issue on the repair was the cam girdle on passenger side needed some force to get it to seat.
What do you mean "force"?
Old 06-29-2024, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

By "force" I meant that when I set the cam girdle on it rocked a bit, a high spot in the middle. Maybe a rocker arm was raised? I screwed down the cam girdle and rotated the engine several times by hand and it seems fine. Everything else on reassembly was smooth. Yesterday I took the IM off and fuel rails to look at fuel injection which seemed fine. I alos replaced the engine snub which was in need but dint help with the vibration. Thanks all who have replied.
Old 06-30-2024, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ob44
By "force" I meant that when I set the cam girdle on it rocked a bit, a high spot in the middle. Maybe a rocker arm was raised? I screwed down the cam girdle and rotated the engine several times by hand and it seems fine. Everything else on reassembly was smooth. Yesterday I took the IM off and fuel rails to look at fuel injection which seemed fine. I alos replaced the engine snub which was in need but dint help with the vibration. Thanks all who have replied.
You should never have to force this kind of repair. Something does not sound right.
Old 06-30-2024, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 164 Likes on 145 Posts

Unless he is talking about the "force" needed to compress some of the valves open??
The following users liked this post:
jonzie77 (07-01-2024)

Quick Reply: Lots of issues after cam girdle / chain tensioner fix