A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Fuel system cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2024, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 124 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Fuel system cleaner?

Does anybody here use a fuel system cleaner? I was looking at Royal Purple Fuel System Cleaner and Stabilizer. It claims to remove deposits and build-up, as well as restoring fuel economy and maximizing horsepower.

Are these claims legit ... or would I just be wasting my money? I was under the impression that because of the Audi's engine design with direct injection, the top side of the valves would not benefit from any cleaner additives.

Last edited by A4Driver; 07-03-2024 at 07:50 AM.
Old 06-29-2024, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 383 Likes on 291 Posts

The balance of probabilities says you are probably wasting your money on a one time application. It might do something if you were using it continuously; but, whether the continuous cost of using fuel system cleaner for 5 or 6 years is less that the cost of getting your injectors cleaned - you would need to sit down and do the arithmetic.

However, if you are using a Top Tier fuel in your car it already comes dosed with cleaners. As an exampIe I believe Chevron Mobil uses their Techron product in their premium fuel. If you go to the Top Tier website you can find a list of the fuel vendors close to you that qualify as top tier vendors. Where I live, Costco premium qualifies as Top Tier.
The following 3 users liked this post by 142 guy:
bniner (06-30-2024), LightningTruck (06-30-2024), Tunetwn (06-30-2024)
Old 06-30-2024, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 142 guy;25917703[color=#2980b9
]The balance of probabilities says you are probably wasting your money on a one time application. It might do something if you were using it continuously; but, whether the continuous cost of using fuel system cleaner for 5 or 6 years is less that the cost of getting your injectors cleaned - you would need to sit down and do the arithmetic.
However, if you are using a Top Tier fuel in your car it already comes dosed with cleaners. As an exampIe I believe Chevron Mobil uses their Techron product in their premium fuel. If you go to the Top Tier website you can find a list of the fuel vendors close to you that qualify as top tier vendors. Where I live, Costco premium qualifies as Top Tier.
[/color]
I fill up with Costco 93 octane most of the time.
Old 06-30-2024, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 917 Likes on 750 Posts

Stick to Top Tier fuels and you should be fine.
Old 06-30-2024, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 273 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by 142 guy
Where I live, Costco premium qualifies as Top Tier.
All Costco gas should be approved/listed by Top Tier

Costco is listed as a TOP TIER™ gasoline retailer. Find out more at www.toptiergas.com.

Kirkland Signature™ Gasoline contains five times the EPA detergent requirement in both regular unleaded and premium grades, and is formulated to clean your engine and help your vehicle run like new.
https://www.costco.com/fuel-promise.html
Old 06-30-2024, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I ran a can of BG 44k through my a4 shortly after I first got it, BG 44k was the most recommended product I could find, I felt like I gained some power and economy, maybe just a placebo though, I never took solid before and after tests

Last edited by LightRobin; 06-30-2024 at 05:21 PM.
Old 06-30-2024, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by A4Driver
I was under the impression that because of the Audi's engine design with direct injection, the top size of the valves would not benefit from any cleaner additives.
Further to my comment, I should note that I am in the EU and our 2.0t engines come with multi-point injection, i.e. the engine runs on port injection at idle and low load conditions, and direct injection for accelerating and high load conditions. So maybe it was easier for me to gain some benefits from the cleaner.
The following 2 users liked this post by LightRobin:
A4Audi4Fun (06-30-2024), A4Driver (06-30-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 383 Likes on 291 Posts

Interesting

Costco.ca says on their website that they are a Top Tier fuel vendor. The Top Tier website lists Costco as a Top Tier retailer; but, they do not include my local Costco in the Top Tier list when you search by location. There are a bunch of other listed Top Tier vendors listed in my area. Do any other Canadian owners using Costco for their fuel have this anomaly? I am wondering whether this is a problem with the Top Tier location search list or whether my local Costco is getting fuel from a non Top Tier wholesaler.
Old 07-01-2024, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 142 guy
Interesting
Costco.ca says on their website that they are a Top Tier fuel vendor. The Top Tier website lists Costco as a Top Tier retailer; but, they do not include my local Costco in the Top Tier list when you search by location. There are a bunch of other listed Top Tier vendors listed in my area. Do any other Canadian owners using Costco for their fuel have this anomaly? I am wondering whether this is a problem with the Top Tier location search list or whether my local Costco is getting fuel from a non Top Tier wholesaler.
For what it's worth, my Costco (in the states) has a Top Tier sticker on all their pumps.
Old 07-01-2024, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 273 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by A4Driver
I was under the impression that because of the Audi's engine design with direct injection, the top size of the valves would not benefit from any cleaner additives.
The top of the valves will not. The rest of the fuel system, including clogged fuel injectors, the usual source of power loss in the fuel system, will. A Stabilizer will also still stabilize the gas - no need for valves to be involved.

Also fwiw, my local Costco has TopTier stickers on every pump/grade. And it does appear on a TopTier search. Costco/Kirkland is even a Brand you can use to filter the search.

Quick Reply: Fuel system cleaner?