Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

AU: Wiring diagrams for a 2012 A5

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2024, 09:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AU: Wiring diagrams for a 2012 A5

Hello all. I am currently installing a digital dash upgrade, that in most terms is plug n play, Issue i am having now i am up to the steering wheel and control switch on the end of the windscreen wiper, is that i need 2 wires that are supposed to be called CAN + and CAN -.
In the original video the installer says that all wires needed for this are behind the hazard light switch. I have made an alternate way of testing this but i would prefer to be able to see the wiring colours and the fuse boxes compatible to these, as i know these cars have a couple.

Is their anywhere we can get a hold of a complete layout so i can print it out and follow the wiring ??
I just remember a time when Gregorys used to make diagrams for every vehicle and in VIC .. Australia... The Audi dealers are either to ignorant to answer or they dont know and yes... I have contacted head office 2 months ago and no return replies.

Any help would be awesome.

Cheers

Old 06-30-2024, 10:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2,058 Likes on 1,753 Posts

Audi themselves publish the wiring diagrams documents. No need for any third party. erwin.audi.com (erwin.audiusa.com for US), pay for a day ($35 for US), download all the PDFs for your VIN, including the docs under category 1 labels Maintenance, Repair Manual, and Wiring Diagrams (I don't find value in setting a category 2 label before hitting search).

There's multiple CAN busses in the car. Which specific CAN bus are you looking for? Infotainment (purple)? Convenience (green)? Suspension and Instrument Cluster (blue)? CAN wires tend to be orange+color for CAN high and orange+brown for CAN low. Always in twisted pair.
Old 07-01-2024, 12:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for your reply...

Ive got Brown and a tan colour with a brown stripe.

Im getting no power to these and he instructed me that these are the wires.

What does CAN stand for mate??
I found a place before that i could view wiring for free... but i lost it when my computer had a moment last month.

cheers
Old 07-01-2024, 03:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It's nearly 0% change those are CAN wires. CAN wires are always, generally, orange+color and orange+brown (second color means stripe) with color being whatever the color is for the specific CAN bus. CAN = controller area network, akin to LAN and WAN, etc.

Are those wires on the car or wires on your third-party device? None of us will know anything about the wires on the device; you'll have to use the documentation for 100% of that side. Whichever wire he says is to CAN high and CAN low on the device, it is as the maker says. But as to which CAN high and which CAN low on the car to connect those wires, the necessary question remain unanswered.

You were probably looking at cardiagn.com
Old 07-01-2024, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

hmm.. Well i guess the Can wires i am looking for are for the the ones that are to do with window wiper.
I will do some more digging but you letting me know this is very important.
Thanks for clarity on the CAN meaning... totally understood now.

Those wires in the picture and the plug are from the car and plug in for the warning / breakdown hazard flashers.

I just wish i would get entire loom layout that was in older vehicles.... I used to copy all pages and lay them out on the kitchen table to follow what i needed, so much easier.
Old 07-01-2024, 09:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The windshield wiper system J400 is on LIN bus to the J519, it's not on CAN. The J519 BCM is on CAN, the J533 is the CAN gateway, the J255 climate controls are on CAN, the J285 instrument cluster is on CAN, but which CAN bus does that device need to be on?

Oh, there's definitely no CAN to the hazard switch. The 6-pin to the hazard switch is red/yellow from the J519 on 2, black/white from the fuse on 3, brown from chassis ground on 4, should be white/violet from the airbag control module on 5, and black from J519 on 6.

Google search "audi ssp 395" and look at pages 14-17. That's the bus topology of the vehicle. It's simple enough to know where all the CAN wires are at the devices, but got to know which CAN you're trying to be on.
Old 07-01-2024, 09:31 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Actually... Driver information system... So maybe Infotainment... that would show the information in centre of dash cluster...Thats the CAN i am looking for.... controlled by this switch and the rolling controls on steering wheel.

Old 07-02-2024, 02:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

That's the trip computer, which is integrated into the J285 instrument cluster. The steering wheel controls are not changed for without vs with trip computer. The wiper stalk is changed based on that, adding the bottom button and end toggle for with trip computer. The trip computer is presented on the DIS, driver information system, which is the screen between the gauges.

Have you got some link to the object you're trying to install?
Old 07-05-2024, 08:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Copy and paste that one mate i had to add it to my private library on youtube.

Thank you so far mate for assisting with this.. I believe it can be sorted it will just take a minute or 3.

Old 07-06-2024, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

? The video is private so can't see it.

Quick Reply: AU: Wiring diagrams for a 2012 A5