Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

2021 Q5 Oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2024, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2021 Q5 Oil consumption

I bought a new Q5 Premium 45 TFSI and now have 30,000 miles on it. It has been factory maintained from day one and has never been driven hard. We have had to add two quarts of oil between each of the last two oil change intervals. We took it to the dealer for a consumption test and were told that the cylinder heads needs to be replaced due to uneven valve guides.
This type of a repair does not make sense for a car with this low mileage. Has anyone experienced this with their car? and would subjecting myself to further engines problems in the future if I were to keep the car?
I am considering turning it in for a new model.

Please let me know if anyone has experienced this before or has some insight to offer regarding keeping the car
Thank you
Old 07-02-2024, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by PSB1
I bought a new Q5 Premium 45 TFSI and now have 30,000 miles on it. It has been factory maintained from day one and has never been driven hard. We have had to add two quarts of oil between each of the last two oil change intervals. We took it to the dealer for a consumption test and were told that the cylinder heads needs to be replaced due to uneven valve guides.
This type of a repair does not make sense for a car with this low mileage. Has anyone experienced this with their car? and would subjecting myself to further engines problems in the future if I were to keep the car?
I am considering turning it in for a new model.

Please let me know if anyone has experienced this before or has some insight to offer regarding keeping the car
Thank you
No, valve guides should last the life of the car. Your Audi is still under warranty, Y/N? Anyway, it's definitely a factory defect and Audi should repair it.

It is to be hoped you're not considering turning it in for a new model Audi.

jack vines
Old 07-05-2024, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Audi is replacing the cylinder head under warranty. We are waiting for the parts to ship from Germany to the US.
We were concerned about keeping the car after the repairs thinking that we could be looking at long term problems.
we still have 13 months warranty left
what are the concerns with a newer model?
Old 07-05-2024, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by PSB1
Audi is replacing the cylinder head under warranty. We are waiting for the parts to ship from Germany to the US.
We were concerned about keeping the car after the repairs thinking that we could be looking at long term problems.
we still have 13 months warranty left
what are the concerns with a newer model?
The same, plus the huge first year depreciation is usually more costly than any repair to your existing car.

As previously mentioned, Einstein said, "Insanity consists of doing the same thing over and over while expecting a different result."

jack vines

The following users liked this post:
PSB1 (07-05-2024)