Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

MK: 2009 Q5, dsg problem, jerks or shuts down enigine when I stop or put in R or D

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2024, 01:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MK: 2009 Q5, dsg problem, jerks or shuts down enigine when I stop or put in R or D

Hi everybody,

I have a problem with the transmission, but this only happens when the car is cold. After a couple of minutes driving and when it hits the working temperature it starts working normal.

Here is the problems I'm having while the engine is cold:
-when I try to put it in R or in D, the engine will either shut down or the car will jerk or jump.
-while driving, when I come to full stop it will either shut down or the car will jerk or jump.
-while driving, in a steady gear (for example 4 or 5) the car will jerk constantly.
-also, when in D and in stop, I can see that the gearbox is putting more pressure to go than usual. And when I put it in N and then in D, sometimes it shut the engine and sometimes it jerks the car.

After a couple of minutes (when engine hits the working temperature) all these problems go away.

Guy from the local car garage told me that they had similar problems, they change the clutch and fix the problem. But that car had problems all the time, mine only when is cold.
Also, from a different place, they had a similar problem, but the transmission had problems when it gets hot, opposite to mine. They change the clutch first, it didn't fix the problem, after that they replace mechatronics and fix the problem.

Did anybody had a similar experience, I don't know what to do, this are all very expensive for me.

Thanks.
Old 07-03-2024, 02:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

What do the fault codes say? It's an important clue to what the problem might be.
If you don't have a fault code reader, borrow one from someone who has or buy your own.
Old 07-03-2024, 03:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by JohnnyJ
What do the fault codes say? It's an important clue to what the problem might be.
If you don't have a fault code reader, borrow one from someone who has or buy your own.
No errors.
Old 07-03-2024, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Unfortunately, today's car mechanics cannot troubleshoot. They can only replace parts (the more the better, and most of them are fully functional). Try to find a workshop with an older "guy" who was there from the past. He can surely do a correct and professional troubleshooting on your car and tell you what really needs to be fixed.
Old 07-09-2024, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just changed the oil and the filter, the old oil wasn't bad but it made a small difference. It reduced the jerking but it's still there.
Does anybody have an idea what is wrong or has a similar problem?

Thanks.
Old 07-09-2024, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Oil and filter in the gearbox or in the motor?
Old 07-10-2024, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by JohnnyJ
Oil and filter in the gearbox or in the motor?
Gearbox.
Old 07-10-2024, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

The car and gearbox learn your driving pattern. Find a dealer or workshop who can reset that learning from scratch.