Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

New front e-motor road trip

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2024, 01:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 713 Likes on 518 Posts
Default New front e-motor road trip

First major road trip after the front e-motor replacement. It has had a few months installed and there have been zero issues. I had a couple of road trips canceled and now after much delay, we are headed to Nashville.

I attached a range screenshot. My planning range is still 180 miles. I don't trust that 225 as we drive with full front and back HVAC and ten MPH over the speed limit.

Old 07-03-2024, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Stop 1 Staunton VA @ Electrify America
Great charge. Dispenser read 162kW.obviously that is faster then car is capable of.
Old 07-03-2024, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 186 Likes on 151 Posts

I think 159 kW is the highest I have ever seen on mine. I assume the extra energy is going I to the cooling system so the car can sustain the charge rate.
Old 07-03-2024, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Stop 2 Wytheville VA. Only hit 138 kW on a derated ABB, BUT the east coast ABB tech was there so I learned all about EA charger deployment and maintenance. More to follow on that.

The following users liked this post:
placebo1969 (07-03-2024)
Old 07-04-2024, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 219 Likes on 179 Posts

That picture of a full CCS station is exactly what we have experienced the last few years on our roadtrips on I-95 between Central Fl & Delaware shore area. If Audi doesn't get access to the Tesla SuC Network by this fall I'm gonna rent a Tesla from Hertz to do my next road trip up north. The EVgo situation in Norfolk Va is embrassing with waits and slow chargers. The Delaware eastern shore is a CCS charging desert, however there are 3 Tesla SuC stations on the main drag in Rehoboth.
Old 07-04-2024, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

I too am interested to hear how long you had to wait to charge on a holiday weekend.

I thought about a trip that would require a charge along the way but didn't want to be waiting for who knows how long for access to a charger on a holiday weekend. Then thought about just buying diesel and taking the superduty and then decided sitting in traffic just doesn't sound like a good time.
Old 07-05-2024, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

ok back to this thread. The third stop was in Knoxville TN which was actually the first stop on the trip where EA just failed us. Four stations, one broken, two derated to 39kW and one appeared nominal and working.

It is simply too difficult to process any real number of vehicles through a station with one nominal chargers.

Oh and if you take a close look there you will see a Land Rover conversion that was pretty cool.

Beacuse the EA station was broken, I only charged for a few minutes on a derated charger to push to Buc-ee's and the Mercedes ChargePoint chargers. The Mercedes chargers cost three times the EA chargers but the worked.
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (07-05-2024)
Old 07-05-2024, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by A4 Phil

ok back to this thread. The third stop was in Knoxville TN which was actually the first stop on the trip where EA just failed us. Four stations, one broken, two derated to 39kW and one appeared nominal and working.

It is simply too difficult to process any real number of vehicles through a station with one nominal chargers.

Oh and if you take a close look there you will see a Land Rover conversion that was pretty cool.

Beacuse the EA station was broken, I only charged for a few minutes on a derated charger to push to Buc-ee's and the Mercedes ChargePoint chargers. The Mercedes chargers cost three times the EA chargers but the worked.
I've only been to one Buc-ees, but it was awesome! I wish we had some Buc-ees on the west coast. I also wouldn't mind paying more if the chargers always worked and I didn't have to wait. That and a brisket sandwich sounds pretty good on a road trip.
Old 07-06-2024, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by taminatorv
I've only been to one Buc-ees, but it was awesome! I wish we had some Buc-ees on the west coast. I also wouldn't mind paying more if the chargers always worked and I didn't have to wait. That and a brisket sandwich sounds pretty good on a road trip.
I believe that the western most Buc-ee's is the brand new one in Colorado.
Old 07-06-2024, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I have been to 3 Buc-ee's in Georgia / Alabama and I don't get it. It's like Walmart on Black Friday every time I have been there.

Quick Reply: New front e-motor road trip