Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Q5 PHEV Charge Port Won't Unlock

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2024, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Q5 PHEV Charge Port Won't Unlock

When I got home from a three-week business trip last night, my Q5 PHEV welcomed me back with a charge port that no longer unlocks. The emergency release doesn't let me open it either. The dealership does not have time to look at it before Monday, and I am not going to try and pry it open, as the service adviser half-suggested. She did say that I might break the latch in the process, and they could replace that, but she did not mention how that is almost guaranteed to make the whole thing a non-warranty repair. I got burned the last time already...

Has anybody had this issue? Any ideas how to open the charge port otherwise? Since I purchased the car about 10,000 miles ago, I had noticed that the charge port audibly unlocked about a half second later than the rest of the car. Is that normal behavior, or was that a sign of the impending failure? Thanks in advance!

Interesting also how the purely-hybrid gas mileage is better on the freeway (just under 30 mpg) than cross-country (25-ish).
Old 07-04-2024, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Same thing happened to me! They had to replace the whole unit on my 2021 Q5. Thank heavens it was still under warranty! We pried it open with a spatula, and didn't close it completely until our service appointment.
The following users liked this post:
JayDee4711 (07-05-2024)
Old 07-04-2024, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I think it has gone too far with all the computers in today's cars. They don't communicate properly with each other and dump the whole problem on the driver when they disagree internally.
924sBubba (07-09-2024)
Old 07-04-2024, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have this issue when it's freezing cold here in winter in the Northeast. The emergency pull wouldnt work either. After a days it worked. The dealership said that i needed to have service on a weekday so they had someone from engineering to look at it. In summer, no issues
Old 07-05-2024, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by lisakc
Same thing happened to me! They had to replace the whole unit on my 2021 Q5. Thank heavens it was still under warranty! We pried it open with a spatula, and didn't close it completely until our service appointment.
Thanks, @lisakc ! Can you describe how you pried? Just yank it open, or pry into a particular direction? I am concerned if I break something, the stealership will try wiggling out of covering the issue under warranty again.
Old 07-05-2024, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

My husband took a rubber spatula and gently pushed it open, after that, I just didn’t close it completely. The dealership never questioned anything, I told them what I had to do too!
JayDee4711 (07-05-2024)
Old 07-05-2024, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

My husband took a rubber spatula and gently pushed it open, after that, I just didn’t close it completely. The dealership never questioned anything, I told them what I had to do too!
I just tried that, and the whole insert seems to want to come out. But not far enough to make the latch accessible. I am very reluctant to apply more than gentle force. The only dealership in acceptable distance has been very creative when it came to denying warranty claims. They even charged me a hefty diagnostic fee for a charging issue they only half-heartedly attempted to reproduce. And couldn't... Driving with poor gas mileage over the weekend is a lot less of a financial risk than having to cover out of pocket what sounds like an expensive repair. But thanks anyway!
Old 07-05-2024, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hopefully, your unit will still be under warranty like mine; it took a few days, like a week, for them to order the part and replace everything... Its not worth forcing it. Mine didn't do what yours is doing. At least you have the gas option for the weekend!
JayDee4711 (07-05-2024)
Old 07-08-2024, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hopefully, your unit will still be under warranty like mine; it took a few days, like a week, for them to order the part and replace everything... Its not worth forcing it. Mine didn't do what yours is doing. At least you have the gas option for the weekend!
I took the car in to the dealership today. Like with yours, they are replacing the entire unit. They hope to get the part tomorrow and finish the job. Fingers crossed! Last time they ordered an "overnight part", it took well over a week...
lisakc (07-08-2024)
Old 07-09-2024, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Update: The part was actually there today, and I got my car back. Warranty repair at no charge. Unfortunately, to no effect either. While I can now physically plug in my car, it still doesn't charge! The invoice states "Verified repair." Evidently, that doesn't include plugging the vehicle in to see if it actually charges. >|

There is a pretty exhaustive thread on this error: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...em%94-3021326/ In contrast to the YouTube video in the most recent post, my locking pin does not cycle, but rather won't move at all. The next availability at the dealership is two weeks from now. Guess who is thrilled about driving around with a fully discharged PHEV for that much longer! Sometimes I just want to scream!

Quick Reply: Q5 PHEV Charge Port Won't Unlock