Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Weight distribution or sway control for towing with 2019 Q7 ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2024, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weight distribution or sway control for towing with 2019 Q7 ?

I towed my trailer (4500 lbs) first time today with 2019 Q7 Komfort. Although first experience I did find it was fairly holding on the road. I stopped to look at it at the end, tongue and front of the trailer looks tilted down with an angle for the trailer hitch. Is this normal or Do I need weight distribution for towing with 2019 Q7 ? Also any thought of sway control requirements as well. Thank you.

This is the side view

Old 07-03-2024, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 108 Likes on 76 Posts

Many threads and discussion on this. The manual clearly says do NOT use a WDH. Some people still use it. I had a WDH on my previous tow vehicle but am not using one on Q7. I do have a sway bar. I have installed air-bags (aftermarket) in the coils and they help a bit (again a long thread on that as well).
Your trailer looks to be under 5000lb and so the hitch weight shouldn't be more than 600lb or so which is not too heavy for Q7. Have you weighed the trailer as well as the tongue weight?
Your ball mount also seems sticking out more than what the manual allows (take a look at the sticker on the side of your hitch right where the ball mount is installed). There are some measurements shown there. A shorter ball mount helps a bit with less drop.
Old 07-03-2024, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have air suspension which helps tremendously when towing. I usually tow my track car + U-Haul trailer (~5100 lbs) without issue. Manual says no WDH. My recommendation would be to order the OEM Audi hitch (it's a curt hitch I believe) as it is quite a bit shorter than standard hitches you'll find in stores. I think I paid like $70 shipped.
Old 07-06-2024, 03:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I use a weight safe hitch with an attachment for a sway bar. It's not within Audi Specs as far as distance and height but my Apex Nano 208 bhs is only 4100 lbs dry weight. On most trailers, I don't think it will be possible to get the trailer level unless you use a rise. We also have a large scale we purchased from Vevor to weigh everything that is going into the trailer. When we load, we never have more than 500 lbs of extra clothes, water bottles, etc. Our total weight stays under 4700 loaded. Don't forget you need to add the weight of your passengers and anything in your vehicle in that 7700lb max towing calculation. I don't have air suspension so I added in air bags into the springs. I am considering changing them to a wider air bag that was posted on a different thread.

Old 07-20-2024, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by windstead
I use a weight safe hitch with an attachment for a sway bar. It's not within Audi Specs as far as distance and height but my Apex Nano 208 bhs is only 4100 lbs dry weight. On most trailers, I don't think it will be possible to get the trailer level unless you use a rise. We also have a large scale we purchased from Vevor to weigh everything that is going into the trailer. When we load, we never have more than 500 lbs of extra clothes, water bottles, etc. Our total weight stays under 4700 loaded. Don't forget you need to add the weight of your passengers and anything in your vehicle in that 7700lb max towing calculation. I don't have air suspension so I added in air bags into the springs. I am considering changing them to a wider air bag that was posted on a different thread.

That is the exact trailer I am looking to pickup but have been worried on how it may handle with sway(length) and hitch weight.

What year is it? Does it have murphy bed? What is the hitch weight when loaded up( can't tell exactly on the picture)? How does it tow overall?

I have air suspension and a 2020 q7 with the 3.0 Turbo.