Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

TPMS for second wheel set?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2024, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS for second wheel set?

Hello, I have looked but don't see exactly what I'm trying to do. If this is answered elsewhere, please feel free to just point me there.

I have a 2013 Q7 TDI. I have a second set of wheels with summer tires. Until now, I just let the TPMS have an error but would like it to work. The original wheels have the TPMS that came with the car. In the MMI I can set the pressures on all 4 original tires where they need to be and hit reset. I've done the same when rotating front to back on the winter tires and it seems to be fine.

I bought new 433mhz sensors that are installed in the 4 new wheels by the tire shop. I have the 14 digit codes for all of them. I'm not sure how to register these with the summer tires and then go back to the previous ones with the winter tires. I have VCDS. I can see how to enable and disable TPMS but not sure where to code the 4 specific tires. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 07-05-2024, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

The 2013 Q7 does not utilize TPMS sensors, they use the wheel speed sensors in the ABS system to monitor pressure. So anytime you swap wheels, as long as they are at the pressure you want to just go into the MMI and accept the current setting.
The following users liked this post:
'10Q7TDI_Prestige' (07-05-2024)
Old 07-05-2024, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 778 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by stryke23x
Hello, I have looked but don't see exactly what I'm trying to do. If this is answered elsewhere, please feel free to just point me there.

I have a 2013 Q7 TDI. I have a second set of wheels with summer tires. Until now, I just let the TPMS have an error but would like it to work. The original wheels have the TPMS that came with the car. In the MMI I can set the pressures on all 4 original tires where they need to be and hit reset. I've done the same when rotating front to back on the winter tires and it seems to be fine.

I bought new 433mhz sensors that are installed in the 4 new wheels by the tire shop. I have the 14 digit codes for all of them. I'm not sure how to register these with the summer tires and then go back to the previous ones with the winter tires. I have VCDS. I can see how to enable and disable TPMS but not sure where to code the 4 specific tires. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
The tire shop should know better than to sell you TPMS sensors that mount inside of the wheels, although the earliest few year model Q7s did come with the in-wheel TPMS sensors, the later model years transitioned so the ABS/wheel speed sensors took over that data gathering/ input role, and so air pressure loss is now measured by a change in the average wheel rotation speed, etc. It's all math now...no actual pressure sensor, as Kittrell noted prior. It is very important to always use the year model of your Q7 and/or the VIN# when looking up parts/services and get the correct info pertinent to your Q7.

The TPMS on our '10 wasn't functioning when we bought it, (old tires were a bit leaky) even though it would allow me to do the MMI reset for TPMS/verify all tires at correct pressure, etc., but after I mentioned to the tire tech (after buying new tires) during routine rotate & balance the TPMS system 'magically' began working again. In fact, it alerted me during my drive home from the tire shop as I had picked up a screw in the tread...bit shocking that was as I didn't know it had been reset by the tire technician.

Best thing to do is discuss immediately with your tire shop, which should have experience with ABS sensor based TPMS systems, which the Q7 has been using since around late 2009, etc., and get a refund for those wheel-mounted TPMS sensors they sold you.

The next thing you can do though is to fully scan your car for stored error codes via a VAGCOM capable diagnostic scan tool, which will show you any trouble spots existing on your car internally. VAGCOM = VW AG car products communications interface...this is the type scan tool required for any VW owned car company, as they all use VW derived coding...includes Audi, Porsche, and lots of others too.

Good luck!!!

Last edited by '10Q7TDI_Prestige'; 07-05-2024 at 02:09 PM.
Old 07-05-2024, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, now I'm really confused. The factory wheels that came with the car when I bought it had the TPMS in them. I had tires put on those wheels once at Costco and they charged me for the TPMS relearn then. When I got this extra set of wheels, they had 433 mhz TPMS in them. He had them on a Touareg. Two of them were broken. I called the local Audi dealership and wanted to verify the frequency. I gave them the VIN for my vehicle and they confirmed they were also 433MHz. They told me all 1st Gen Q7's up to 2015 used the same frequency. I ordered a new set and brought them to the tire shop to put in when they put my tires on.

All of this to find out that they never needed the TPMS, Costco charged me for a relearn that they never did, and the dealership also has no clue what is going on when I gave them the VIN. If it's as simple as the MMI reset once pressure is where I want it, that is simple to do. Thank you.
Old 07-06-2024, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

None of this surprises me, but the Q7 hasn't had sensors since around 2009. I've never bought sensors for my '13 or '15 and the TPMS warning will come on after a 20%-25% drop in pressure. Which usually happens with the first cold snap of the year.
Old 07-06-2024, 07:02 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 154 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by stryke23x
Well, now I'm really confused. The factory wheels that came with the car when I bought it had the TPMS in them. I had tires put on those wheels once at Costco and they charged me for the TPMS relearn then. When I got this extra set of wheels, they had 433 mhz TPMS in them. He had them on a Touareg. Two of them were broken. I called the local Audi dealership and wanted to verify the frequency. I gave them the VIN for my vehicle and they confirmed they were also 433MHz. They told me all 1st Gen Q7's up to 2015 used the same frequency. I ordered a new set and brought them to the tire shop to put in when they put my tires on.

All of this to find out that they never needed the TPMS, Costco charged me for a relearn that they never did, and the dealership also has no clue what is going on when I gave them the VIN. If it's as simple as the MMI reset once pressure is where I want it, that is simple to do. Thank you.
That's not surprising to me. It's standard to include those charges since most other vehicles use wheel sensors, so it's likely they just did that out of habit. My local tire store has tried charging me for wheel sensor rebuild kits more than once when I've replaced tires. I'd go back and ask them for a refund on those items.
The following users liked this post:
-Wes- (07-09-2024)
Old 07-07-2024, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 778 Likes on 645 Posts

The most basic difference between having wheel mounted TPMS sensors as compares to using the ABS/wheel speed sensors to determine tire deflation, is that the in-wheel TPMS sensors send the actual pressure values, and you can normally see the exact pressure values for all four tires in the dash display, etc. With the ABS/speed sensor, it just measures the rotational speed after you reset the system/store the tire pressures, etc., and uses that as the baseline for determining pressure loss...you don't see the actual pressures.