Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Limitations on the factory SD card reader?

Search this Thread

Old Today, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Limitations on the factory SD card reader?

I've been running in to some cases of "no playable files" in directories on the SD card that I've been playing MP3s from in my 2010 Q7 TDI. Some of these directories I know worked before, and when I put the card in my computer I see the MP3 files that I expect to see there (I've even seen at least one directory on the card that lists only some of the expected files).

Is the factory stereo only capable of handling a certain number of files and/or directories? I do have several thousand files over several hundred directories. We're talking ~14-15 GB of MP3.

I tried formatting the card and then copying the files back to it, but the behavior is the same. There doesn't seem to be any particular rhyme or reason to which directories are showing unplayable that I can see, but once it decides a directory is unplayable that seems to be it.
Old Today, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 769 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by lparsons
I've been running in to some cases of "no playable files" in directories on the SD card that I've been playing MP3s from in my 2010 Q7 TDI. Some of these directories I know worked before, and when I put the card in my computer I see the MP3 files that I expect to see there (I've even seen at least one directory on the card that lists only some of the expected files).

Is the factory stereo only capable of handling a certain number of files and/or directories? I do have several thousand files over several hundred directories. We're talking ~14-15 GB of MP3.

I tried formatting the card and then copying the files back to it, but the behavior is the same. There doesn't seem to be any particular rhyme or reason to which directories are showing unplayable that I can see, but once it decides a directory is unplayable that seems to be it.
This guide may help...special attention to the formatting of the 'playlist' and that some purchased music files are known not to be playable via SD card input, etc. :

https://www.audiworld.com/how-tos/a/...sd-card-421934