Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Audi Upbadging Now?

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:58 PM
B7 S4 to B9 RS5 Sportback

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Audi Upbadging Now?

Is this ok?

https://www.motor1.com/news/727184/a...t=topic%2Faudi
Old Yesterday, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not a fan. Reeks of BMW and Mercedes.
Old Yesterday, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 367 Posts

The article is wrong. S line variants have often used the red rhombus over the years.

What Audi have done is cost cutting. They just buy a lot of one red rhombus, and use it for all sport versions. Then some S letters, then a few R letters. Must be cheaper.

I don't like the look of it, seems unbalanced. Typically I prefer to de-badge my cars anyway. I like the Audi rings, but anything else isn't adding to the design, just cluttering.

Old Yesterday, 05:49 PM
B7 S4 to B9 RS5 Sportback

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse
The article is wrong. S line variants have often used the red rhombus over the years.

What Audi have done is cost cutting. They just buy a lot of one red rhombus, and use it for all sport versions. Then some S letters, then a few R letters. Must be cheaper.

I don't like the look of it, seems unbalanced. Typically I prefer to de-badge my cars anyway. I like the Audi rings, but anything else isn't adding to the design, just cluttering.

That's true. My B7 S4 had a red rhombus...I think they may have mentioned in the article that some of the S variants had previously had the red feature and that a few of the A's still won't get it...
BTW...My family just returned from Switzerland last week...WOW...We couldn't have been more impressed...Beautiful place with warm, friendly people...Loved it!
Old Yesterday, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2,063 Likes on 1,757 Posts

I don't like how it's completely separated from the term it's being used with, instead of overlapping the start of the wording as has been normal.

And maybe they got tired of people debadging and decided to throw a new gauntlet. wtf:

The following users liked this post:
4Warner (Today)
Old Today, 03:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 4Warner
That's true. My B7 S4 had a red rhombus...I think they may have mentioned in the article that some of the S variants had previously had the red feature and that a few of the A's still won't get it...
BTW...My family just returned from Switzerland last week...WOW...We couldn't have been more impressed...Beautiful place with warm, friendly people...Loved it!
And lots of Audi's!!

Glad you enjoyed it, it is beautiful. Hope the credit card recovers soon...
Old Today, 03:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by SMac770
I don't like how it's completely separated from the term it's being used with, instead of overlapping the start of the wording as has been normal.

And maybe they got tired of people debadging and decided to throw a new gauntlet. wtf:

This etched side badging is the latest industry trend, a number of manufacturers are doing it. BMW, by example. It does seem odd that they would make the change to the Sport Rhombus badging to reduce part SKUs / lower parts costs, and then have this model specific treatment on the B pillar. Maybe it is a process done during vehicle production so it isn't an SKU thing, otherwise it seems crazy.

Old Today, 05:40 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,409 Posts

@Glisse — Those crazy Germans …

— John