Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Q7 burning a qt every 300 mi. Can I keep topping up or is engine failure imminent?

Search this Thread

Old Today, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q7 burning a qt every 300 mi. Can I keep topping up or is engine failure imminent?

I have a 2017 Q7 3.0L with 89,000 miles. Like a lot of others, the car has burned oil for years. Now it's burning a quart every 300 miles. My mechanic checked it. The car isn't leaking oil. It's burning it. At the recommendation of the dealership, we just tried Lucas oil stabilizer, and that hasn't worked so far. About to try a piston soak with Berryman's.

Here's my question for the group.

I have three kids, and since this is about the safest car on the road, I'd like to keep using it. Though the issue is maddening, topping it off constantly isn't a big inconvenience to me. The fear, though, is that total engine failure is imminent. Does anyone have a sense of how big the risk is of that happening once you get to a quart every 300 miles?

Trade-in value is $10k. I suppose we could get a Volvo or a Suburban or a Ford Expedition. I just kind of like the Audi even though the brakes screamed upon startup for four years and the water pump failed. Just got Michelin cross-climates put on last year. Also having a hard time buying that the suburbans or the expeditions are as safe.
Old Today, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

IMO failure is imminent. We just bought a 2018 knowing the of the rings sticking and gobbling oil at a rapid rate. You have to do a Berryman's B-12 piston soak and or a BG dynamic engine flush program or something intense like that to unstick the rings or the engine is going to so south fast. At least there are proven remedies for the sticking rings that will fix it so all is not lost.

We parked ours until I got it done a week ago. I did a B-12 piston soak and a BG EPR engine flush. Then changed oil to the new Valvoline Restore & Protect 5-30, no its not Audi approved oil but the pistons and rings have to be cleaned up. I'll do a couple thousand oil change to another Restore & Protect change. After the process, ours used 1/4 quart of oil in 40 miles then quit using oil and hasn't used any oil since in 200 miles so far. Ours used 3/4 of a Qt in just 400 miles after bringing it home, you could see the level go down as you drove it and knew it'd have to be dealt with sooner than latter!

Looking in our cylinders and chambers with the borescope, they looked like a junkyard engine with all the carbon and oil in there, but the cylinders were not yet scored, but for people that keep driving them they engine will fail eventually. Ours had a nice Carfax with on-time oil changes at the Audi dealer, so you'd think it would be fine, but obviously its not.

We have had zero oil usage on our earlier 2012 and 2013 A6 3.0t's in all the years we've had them doing 10,000 miles changes using Mobile1 0-40, but this newer CRCE engine, it's a given they will all use oil eventually from the sounds of it. Even changing oil at earlier intervals is not a guarantee it will prevent oil usage. You can read all about on this very forum.

The following users liked this post:
Harwich (Today)