Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Serpentine belt

Search this Thread

Old Today, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Serpentine belt

The "official" Audi maintenance schedule that I have includes a list of "additional maintenance items", including "Ribbed V-belt starter/generator drive (including tensioner) -Replace" at 60K. I assume this is the serpentine belt. I have not found anything relating to this on the forum and wonder if it's necessary at 60K. I have normally replaced the serpentine belt at 100K miles on my other cars, but Audi does list it, and the belt is reasonably priced. I searched the forum for "serpentine" and got nothing useful.

I have seen several videos online about replacing the belt. It looks trivial, but the videos are not for the 2nd-gen Q5. As far as I can tell, when I turn the 16 mm bolt on the idler one way to release the tension, the companion idler goes the other way, tightening the belt. It must be simple, but I thought I would benefit from the accumulated forum knowledge first before really diving into it.

FWIW, other than the belt, I do not see anything that the dealer needs to do for me at 60K (anything that's not simple DIY).

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
Old Today, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2,068 Likes on 1,762 Posts

The EA888 4-cyl was always at 75k and then every 80k after, inspect the belt for cracks/wear and replace if necessary.
With the MHEV version of the EA888 and the alternator replaced by the starter-generator, that's now just a set replace every 60k. It does say replace the belt and the tensioner.

The process is documented in the workshop manual for the evo4 engine, under 2.2.2 Ribbed Belt, Removing and Installing, Vehicle with Starter Generator and 2.3.2 Ribbed Belt Tensioning Damper, Removing and Installing, Vehicle with Starter Generator. The only "special tool" is the locking pin, imagine a proper diameter hex key would do fine. https://audi.snapon.com/SpecialTools...temId=31020123
The following users liked this post:
rockdoc (Today)
Old Today, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks very much for this, SMac!

Now I just need to find the workshop manual; I have managed without it so far and just used the forum. I'm surprised this hasn't come up on the forum before, or if it did, I missed it somehow. In the past I've replaced idlers only when they got noisy.
Old Today, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2,068 Likes on 1,762 Posts

https://cardiagn.com/audi-q5-typ-fy-...epair-manuals/
second 4-cyl link.

But you're better off creating an account at erwin.audiusa.com, paying for a day, and downloading all the PDFs for your VIN (in the category 1 of Maintenance, Repair Manual, and Wiring Diagrams). PDF files in Adobe Reader are just easier to work with than the same through Cardiagn's web viewer interface. But for a small scope task like this (you're literally interested in maybe 4 pages), cardiagn might be fine enough.
Old Today, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks, great advice! I'll check out both of those.