Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Air conditioning turning on by itself

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Air conditioning turning on by itself

2 times in the last week, I've noticed that the A/C was running in the car in my garage. Both times, I had scheduled charging overnight but don't believe that I also scheduled climate control to pre-condition the cabin. I checked settings in the MyAudi app and climate control was not scheduled. Any ideas why this happened would be appreciated. Additionally, and perhaps more important, suggestions on how to prevent it from happening again
Old Yesterday, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 273 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by AWDQuattro
2 times in the last week, I've noticed that the A/C was running in the car in my garage. Both times, I had scheduled charging overnight but don't believe that I also scheduled climate control to pre-condition the cabin. I checked settings in the MyAudi app and climate control was not scheduled. Any ideas why this happened would be appreciated. Additionally, and perhaps more important, suggestions on how to prevent it from happening again
The battery gets warm whilst charging. If your garage was also hot due to it being Summer, the A/C may well have kicked on to keep the battery temp in the optimal range
Old Yesterday, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by thebishman
The battery gets warm whilst charging. If your garage was also hot due to it being Summer, the A/C may well have kicked on to keep the battery temp in the optimal range
I appreciate the response. I suppose that is possible however, it was not that hot in the garage as it was still fairly early morning and I live in the greater Seattle area so not a very hot climate. The A/C was blowing cold air in the cabin.
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (Today)
Old Yesterday, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 557 Likes on 413 Posts

I appreciate the response. I suppose that is possible however, it was not that hot in the garage as it was still fairly early morning and I live in the greater Seattle area so not a very hot climate. The A/C was blowing cold air in the cabin.
Did you unlock or lock the drivers door. I think there is a setting that will start AC if you unlock the door.

Old Yesterday, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JNealCox
Did you unlock or lock the drivers door. I think there is a setting that will start AC if you unlock the door.
No I did not do anything. When I walked into the garage I heard some noise coming from the car and when I had a closer look, I realized it was the AC war running. This morning I got a message on the MyAudi app that the climate control had completed and I wasn't even at home at the time
Old Yesterday, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 350 Likes on 244 Posts

We're in Texas, way hotter than PNW, and I have never experienced that.

I see no good reason why the battery cooling should be in any way connected to the cabin cooling circuit. Even if they share a compressor, which I would expect they do, the two functions should be independent.
Old Yesterday, 10:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Timers for acclimatization can be set it two places in the car/app:
  1. For the five charge timers, each also have an option to also accclimatize to the end charge time.
  2. Then there are additional two acclimatization timers.
Did you check both places?

There are two more ways for running AC when car is off: Unlocking car, and activating the acclimatize now" function. But from your description and comments it sounds like these can be ruled out.
Old Today, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by orbit0353
Timers for acclimatization can be set it two places in the car/app:
  1. For the five charge timers, each also have an option to also accclimatize to the end charge time.
  2. Then there are additional two acclimatization timers.
Did you check both places?

There are two more ways for running AC when car is off: Unlocking car, and activating the acclimatize now" function. But from your description and comments it sounds like these can be ruled out.
Thank you. I checked the charge timers and it does look like the temp gauge icon was activated for my daily timer which is not a setting I consciously set. I'm going to blame it on the wife
Old Today, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you. I checked the charge timers and it does look like the temp gauge icon was activated for my daily timer which is not a setting I consciously set. I'm going to blame it on the wife
That’s always a good approach. Blame it on the wife. 👍🏼