Andretti Speed Lab rant

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Andretti Speed Lab rant

The first time I went to ASL I was hooked. The track layout was great, the carts were cool looking and sounding, and the staff was a group of top notch gearheads who knew what they were doing. That was June of last year.

Fast forward to saturday night. Our group of 12 got there about 8:30. Aside from the logistics of trying to get all 12 people in the same heats, our first 2 races were great. I thought the carts were a bit slower and not as well set-up, but they all seemed pretty consistent (last time I saw lots of irregularities in them).

The third race is where it all went to hell. The staff from the first 2 heats were gone, new people were there, along with some round guy 'helping out' from the climbing wall where he normally works. This guy sent us out. I was second to leave, and he didn't give me a clear signal to hold up, so I started going. He didn't say anything and let everyone go. Then as we came around the last turn and were going full out, he steps out into the middle of the lane and holds his hand out, as if he were God telling us to stop. No flags at all, we had to slam on our brakes. The person behind me didn't see this happening, so he SLAMMED my cart at full speed while I was stopped. The worker stopped the entire field and lectured us for 2 minutes (our time was going, mind you) about how we better obey what he was telling us, etc. He lectured us about the flags and all that good stuff, then sent us on. I was already royally pissed. It only got worse, as the 4 rookies we were driving with would not obey any of the flags being waved at them. I could not get past some of these people without rubbing shoulders. I never pushed anyone out of the way, I alwasy kept my line. They would run smack into me. About halfway through the race one of my buddies got tossed out of the race b/c of this. He wasn't doing anything but trying to get past slower people who weren't obeying the flags.

THen it got worse again. A couple got tangled up against the wall in the last turn, and the moron power trip guy just walks out in the middle of the racing line and starts moving karts. No flags waiving, nothing. I came around the last corner behind someone else going flat out, and the person in front of me missed him by inches. The worker had to high step out of the way. I was livid, no one was using flags correctly, and the retards we were racing with weren't obeying them.

I turned my best time that last heat, but my lap differentials were like +4seconds one lap, -5 the next, up and down up and down. It was absolute BS. When the race was over I got out fuming and chewed that guy out like nothing you've ever seen. You wouold have been embarassed to be with me.

It got worse. I went to the highest manager there that night, he basically said he didn't care if we left unhappy, in his opinion we got our money's worth and tough ****, that's the breaks, goodbye. He told that to 12 of us, one of whom used to go there almost religiously. No more.

If you made it through my rant, thanks. Never go to ASL again. Find another place. If you ever are there and in a situation where you feel you got cheated or didn't have a good time, they won't care, they have your money already so it doesn't matter to them.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That sucks....

stupid on the manager's part, especially in front of 12 others who were complaining about their service as well. Multiply by all your friends, and people on this board, and you have a crap load of people who would second-guess ever going there. Only raced at Andretti's once. To me, it was fun, but I probably wouldnt do it again. Too damn expensive, and I thought the track could have been laid out a bit better. Those types of businesses usually fail after a few years anyway because the hype is gone. Stupid manager should have realized that and made you all happy!
Old 04-18-2005, 10:22 AM

Default That sucks. I still wanna go =( Hope it was just idiot night.

Try calling during the normal week day hours and see if you can get a diff. manager and see if they change their tune.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:45 AM

Default It's not doing well!!

I don't think the place is doing well. They clearly aren't investing "back" into the business. The karts are in horrible shape and the people that work there are morons. But what do yuo expect. They pay them minimum wage and they are usually high school kids.

The place sucks. Vote with your wallet.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:33 PM

I was the one who got kicked out. I've spent over $500 there, and will never go again.
Old 04-18-2005, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default the high school kids were actually the best ones there.

both times I went it was the younger guys who knew their ****, were cool about cars/racing in general, and they ran the place fine as far as being the ones on track with the racers.

Shame, it's a great idea, but pricey as hell and not worth it for me to do on a regular basis. Sucks to be them, I hope it fails.

I sent an email to them, haven't heard back yet.
Old 04-18-2005, 04:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The hype _IS_ gone, you hit that on the head>>

Before some folks here started talking about this, it's been 2 years at least since I've heard anyone mention Andretti. And I live 10 minutes from the place.

As for the employees, I know the type. I spent my high school & college years working at Six Flags. You give some of these kids $4.25 an hour and a nametag and they think they're hot ****. They end up being security guards when they grow up, probably. In fact, I just ran into one of the kids I worked with back then (one of the authoritarian types), and he is indeed a security guard now.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:20 AM

you need to call back and ask for john CAPONIGRO and tell him what happened
Old 04-19-2005, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

thanks I just might.