Anyone here ever buy a car out of state, private sale? What did you do for a temp tag?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone here ever buy a car out of state, private sale? What did you do for a temp tag?

Owner wants/needs to keep his tag. GA doesn't issue individuals temporary tags. Really don't want to deal with the DMV in the seller's state. Any ideas?
Old 08-01-2008, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In most states, all you will need is a bill of sale.

If I remember correctly, a bill of sale will cover you for 30 days. If you are driving home from just buying the car w/o tags and get pulled over, I have just shown the title and bill of sale to the police, and was let go. You should be ok.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Proof of insurance is probably a good idea, too.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Here is what I did

-Borrowed the sellers tags
-We filled out a NJ (since that is the state I bought the car in) Bill of Sale (found on the states DMV site).
-I had printed proof of insurance from my provider
-After I got my Ga tag, I mailed his tags back

Since your seller wants to keep the tags, I think the best solution is to have your bill of sale, proof of insurance and the title.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:59 AM

Default many times. just drive home.

If you are pulled over, have the paperwork handy from the sale, and make sure everything is dated correctly.

I have bought a lot of cars out of state and been pulled over more than a few times. On one trip I was pulled over three times in Missouri. It's not even that big of a state!

Each time I presented my license, title, and bill of sale, and each time, I was sent on my way in between 30 seconds and 5 minutes depending on whether the officer wanted to call in my license and or the car's vin. Never did I receive a ticket.

Only one time have I ever received a hassle, and that was in GA, by a newbie cop who didn't know the law apparently. She demanded that I must have a temp tag, but I reminded her that GA does not issue them. She countered that they do, referring to the 30-day tags given by dealerships. I indicated that this car was a private party sale. She then came up with some lame story about how I should have hand written something with the date of sale on it. Yeah right, I'm sure I wouldn't be pulled over with that.

I was just glad she didn't see the bottle of beer I had just popped open (I was 100 yards from my destination) and quickly hidden in the floorboard.

Good luck! =)
Old 08-01-2008, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Go by AAA offices in that state and pickup a transfer/temp tag.

Great place to do the title transfer too, since they are licensed notaries.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I'm liking this. What these guys are saying about not needing a tag is accurate, I do believe.

Nevertheless, I'd prefer to have something official-looking back there, for all the obvious reasons.

Hell, maybe I'll just photochop an "official" temp tag.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Thanks, all!
Old 08-01-2008, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default USAA puts that out for you immediately. I'm sure I could have them fax a card to me, too,

in case I can't get on their web site to get my e-forms.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:10 PM

Default "TAG APPLIED FOR" on a piece of cardboard written in crayon

Pick your state on the left and then hit the tap at the top for buying and selling. Might give you more insight for your specific state and the state you're buying the car in.<ul><li><a href="http://www.dmv.org/">http://www.dmv.org/</a</li></ul>

Quick Reply: Anyone here ever buy a car out of state, private sale? What did you do for a temp tag?