Anyone know of a good machine shop to bore out my k03 housings for..

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 12:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im just trying to keep the performance budget low so I was just hoping..

for some pros for the hybrids. I really only want around 320 whp so the K04s just seem like overkill to me. I may just rebuild my K03s when the time comes and find the power I want elsewhere. Right now Im almost at 90,000 miles and my passenger side has minimal to no play and no blow by but my driver has some blow by also with minimal to no play. I think the blow by in the driver side is happening mainly when Im at full boost because its not a major accumalation just a thin film throughout the system and my car only blows smoke under WOT.
I guess Ill cross that bridge when I get there.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I wouldn't read too much into the blowby.

There are plenty of other sources and unless its a flood of oil, it's not an immediate threat.

As far as saving money, I honestly believe that the risk is too high on the rebuilt turbos. Too many people do this to save money, but end up paying for a second engine pull and a pair of real k04s after their rebuilds fail. If your turbos aren't blown, as a former B5 S4 owner and worry-wort, DONT SWEAT IT. If you start worrying about blowing turbos, you won't enjoy driving the car.

If you are talking about 320 <i>real</i> wheel horsepower, it's not possible on K03's. A dynojet (which reads high compared to others) will dyno a solid Stage 2+ car at 290. Adding big *** intercoolers and race fuel may net another 15hp at best.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default That sucks cause Im already on the low end of the spectrum with my 93 APR program...

because it seemed like the APR would cause less stress on the turbos with the lower boost spikes.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default APR is nothing to sneeze at, though.

I ran 4 different chips (well, 5 sort of) on my B5 S4 and all of them were close.

My GIAC chip was an old revision, which ran a LOT of boost - I ended up running an MBC in parallel just to keep the spikes down.

I borrowed an AMS chip for a week and it was a milder GIAC (a psi or two less). I also ran APR for about 2 weeks, it was also milder than the GIAC.

My final chip (well, I actually ran 2 revisions, but the first one was buggy) was an ASP chip and it was aggressive like the GIAC but spiked to about 16.5psi.

Ultimately though, the differences are pretty negligible in the big picture. Its the area under the curve that matters and the APR does a great job at smooth power delivery.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Dont get me wrong I like the chip but the reason I bought it...

was because of others saying that it was milder than the GIAC. My car feels fast with the chip but I took it to Commerce last year and the best time I ran was a 14.936 @ 94.84 with a .175 r/t and after seeing the time slips from others I just dont understand the problem. With that being said I dont want a dyno queen but it bothers me a little when my friend beats me in his Chevy Cobalt (The supercharged one). I have a pressure tester and have no leaks in the system at 10 psi and also Ive changed the tranny fluid, full silicone hoses, grounded the throttle body, cleaned MAF sensor, new air filter, 0w30 Mobil 1, new plugs, timing belt, and it still feels only a little quick. Maybe there is something I missed but I dont know what it could be. The only thing I can think of would be the DBW delay which I tryed to help by putting a bigger ground wire from it the negative and it made it a lot more responsive but still not enough as a cable would respond. Any ideas?
Old 03-04-2009, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default hmm...

Do you drag race often? Without a proper launch (don't ask me how, I don't drag race), they can be pigs off the line.

Losing to a Chevy Cobalt SS does not seem right, though.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default whoa, whoa, whoa. hold on there, wait just a second.

in no way should any advice that is given on the internet be taken at anything other than face value.

Secondly, BLAMING mtmspeed for your inabilities in car problem diagnosis and your spending of money is ludicrous, childish, and downright sickening.

Furthermore, accusing this forum of being the "wrong people" is NOT going to endear us to you, and upsetting me by insulting others(people that you don't even know, by the way) is not a good idea.

I'm disappointed that you have done "supposed" research into turbos, something that is fairly important to your car, but didn't do any research into your transmission problem.

I HIGHLY suggest that you apologize to mtmspeed instead of being an internet jerk, and a whiny one at that. Last time I checked, you owned a very expensive, limited production sports sedan that has the highest warranty claim of an Audi ever produced. If you have money problems, this is not the car for you and you should get out now before you start whining again.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ...

if you truly were smart and had researched, you'd realized that the valve covers and PCV system are the cause of the extra blowby on the driver's side, NOT the turbos.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

what boost does your APR chip spike to?
Old 03-05-2009, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

2nd. I heart dyno days because of the people and watching all the other cars.

Quick Reply: Anyone know of a good machine shop to bore out my k03 housings for..