Atlanta/Kennesaw: Someone help these kids once they get home.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 03:34 AM
AudiWorld Awesome User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Atlanta/Kennesaw: Someone help these kids once they get home.

So I'm heading back from visiting my grandkids and taking the 6 y/o cutie skating. I-75 is humming, it's 23*F out, the music is good. It's 2100, and I am tired. I am 2m north of I-285, southbound at speed.

In my peripheral vision, I snap on a Dolomite (light grey?) TT sitting on the shoulder, e-flashers working (unusual event, I know). I hustle over across 4 lanes, and back up 200 yards. Hennessy plate on the front (dammit).

Kids: could've been my daughter and all that. Young lady and her b/f just waiting. LR tire is shredded, and bald to boot. He has NEVER changed a tire in his life (college: what are they learning!!!). Boot was closed, and she's trying to figure out if the c-phone can bring real help. Damn it's dark: I got a flashlight but I turn the TT around on the shoulder to illuminate the work, with my back to the damn traffic. Yeah, that little triangle thingie is enough warning I guess.

He hasn't ANY gloves. I'm keeping mine.

So, we unlimber the spare and tools and find NO FREAKING lug wrench. Get mine out, show him how to jack the car on the little wedgie, and get her up in the air. I get the lug nuts off, yank out the spare and the freaking thing is at 27 psi! ARGH! OK, we're near an exit, so we mount it all up, throw the debris and tools into the boot. "Air up as soon as you get off THIS exit."

Lecture has been forming in my head all the time. She's had it 6m, bought it from Hennessy Honda. Tires were original, and had >60K. The tires were ALL balding, and the RR had a wire protruding from the inside already. "Get new tires please sweetheart, and while you're at it go get the bucks from Mom and Dad and have the Timing Belt changed."

I don't have time to explain what a TB is, and he doesn't know. It's damn cold, my hands are like glass, and they need to solve these problems themselves I decide. But they're OK.
"PLEASE do not exceed 50 mph until you get new tires!" My last advice is "Here's a good independent shop (RingTec); go there and get this thing fixed. Please." I hope they never go back to Hennessy.

I turn back around on the shoulder, and set off to leave them with the rest of their adventure. She's owned VW's, so maybe she'll sort it out. I was sorely tempted to ask him WTF he thought he was going to do next time the feces hit the rotating propeller.

I hope they make it. Lord knows they sure have some learning to do. But they didn't make the late-night news, or the AJC this morning. You hardly ever get to return a favor, but you can always pass one on.

Anna and Walker- good luck dears.

God is good.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

It's the internet, it sizzles the medula oblongata...I know trust me on this one!
Old 01-25-2008, 04:21 AM

Default Damn, that sure was nice of you...

what were you listening to on the radio?
Old 01-25-2008, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Besides helping them..hopefully they learned a good lesson. Some people just

NEVER checked their tires....
Old 01-25-2008, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You're a good man, Ted. Who needs Audi Roadside in ATL now that you're in town!? ;-)
Old 01-25-2008, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Awesome User

Default Dolomite (light gray, right) 180 Paul. Hopefully, they'll take my advice and.....

come see you. Anna is her name, Walker is his. It'll take a few days I opine: they really shouldn't do more than jack it up and put new rubber on before they do anything else.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Awesome User

XM- Led Zepplin channel!
Old 01-25-2008, 11:11 AM

I bet you'll see her in 2 weeks .....still rolling on the spare.