JE quotes $169+tax for 4 wheel alignment... Need advice where (if) to do it elsewhere..

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Many (most) people recommend Gran Turismo...

Where are they located (I guess I could use google) and is there only one shop that everybody is referring to?

$85 for all 4 is not bad but do they put the steering rack in the neutral position prior to adjusting the components?

Alen
Old 01-12-2005, 01:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Centering the rack SHOULD be a given>>

but don't take anything for granted. If you ask Jeff at Gran Tourismo East to do that, I'm sure he will.

Gran Tourismo is only a few miles from Autobahn, if you're familiar with that.

Look them up in the phone book under "Gran Tourismo East"

By the way, why are you so worried about centering the rack? Have you removed the steering wheel and lost track of where "center" is? Or did you replace the rack and are not sure you got it centered? If neither of the above applies, starting with the steering wheel in a "straight ahead" position before adjusting toe should achieve what you desire, and pretty much every shop should do that.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Centering the rack SHOULD be a given>>

not adjusting the steering rack leads to premature wear on the fixed alignment. i've had plenty of experience with stated above shops and i'd come do the alignment more than necessary. i actually bought the tool to center the rack myself on my old 90S and then take it to the shop. nevertheless, it worked and i was satisfied with the car for a long time.

if you go to any audi dealership, they will say that they center the rack because it's recommended for the above reasons. i assume that's where part of their price comes into play.

i will give gran turismo a call in the morning, it looks like it will be them who will work on my car.

thanks all
Old 01-12-2005, 07:13 PM

Default You've completely lost me>>

Premature wear on the alignment? The alignment is held (in the front) by two things: adjuster in between inner/outer tie rods (toe), and the nuts holding the ball joints studs in a specific position on the slots in the control arms (camber). Neither of these will be affected by the rack. What would affect alignment is hitting bumps in the road, etc., that slightly "tweak" suspension components, necessitating re-adjustment of the toe & camber. Caster is non-adjustable.

Are you speaking of the ADJUSTMENT screw on the rack? Because from an alignment standpoint, the rack doesn't really care where center is. Only problem I can imagine is if you align the front wheels with the rack not centered, the wheels will turn sharper than intended in one direction, and not as sharply as intended in the opposite, which, if taken to the extreme, could cause a variety of issues. This could only be caused by the steering wheel to rack orientation changing, so straight-up & down is no longer center.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:23 AM

Default Our Alignments are 89.00 , Butler Tire Doraville

The price for a 4 Wheel Alignment at our Doraville Store is 89.00 You do not have to watch us like a hawk, we are highley qualified on all Audi Products. We have up dated Hunter Equipment. Did you know that we do alot of alignments and balancing for the Audi dealers also..

770-451-3828
Kevin
Old 01-13-2005, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default that is correct, sir...

i wrote that it prematurely wears out the alignment but i should have stated what you wrote in the second paragraph. it doesn't mess up your alignment but it puts up a considerable amount of stress on your steering and suspension components. that, in turn, wears out weaker parts faster.

not centering the steering rack is not a big deal. however, if you want to make sure that your car is 99% how it's supposed to be it's a very good idea to do it.

sometimes when they do alignment on your car and not center the rack, your steering wheel may not be centered and that is one negative outcome of that.

anyway, i'm taking this topic way too seriously but it's just what i had experience with in the past.

Alen
Old 01-13-2005, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default how long before i could make an appointment with you guys?

also, i'd like to mount two tires and balance four. when is the earlier possible day for all of this?

palen2k at hotmail dot com if you want to email me.

alen
Old 01-13-2005, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

wow can't find gran turismo on google. anybody know their #?
Old 01-14-2005, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default STFA =

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/southeast/msgs/2680.phtml">BAM</a></li></ul>
Old 01-14-2005, 12:24 PM

Default Understand now, I think>>

you're talking about adjusting the preload (for lack of a better word) on the steering gear? I've done this myself on the V8, but it took 200k miles for it to get loose to the point that I noticed it. I think that bolt basically just compensates for wear by adjusting the preload. Do you have a pic of the factory tool for your B3 90? Interested to see what it looks like.

Quick Reply: JE quotes $169+tax for 4 wheel alignment... Need advice where (if) to do it elsewhere..