Track Day?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track Day?!

rob, i know you track your car but anyone else who does .. what does it take to take my car to road atlanta to get on the track? do i have to take a course? btw what do you guys think of doing a track day in the fall when it gets nice and cool for those turbos? sounds nice?

Emanuel
Old 09-08-2004, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default What, you don't like my answers? :P

The easy way to get on the track is to do the Panoz track day. Being your first time you'll be forced to start in the touring group, or Group C I think they call it now.

As far as "letting" you on the track, there is a PDF file you can download from panozracingschool.com with a checklist of things for you to check before you go, and a checklist that the inspectors will use. It's all very common sense stuff and if your car is well maintained you should pass the tech inspection.

In the faster groups the first thing I would tell you to change would be the brake pads. But in Group C you won't be doing aggressive braking over and over again so street pads will be fine. You probably want decently performing tires rather than the 4 for $100 special.

You're required to wear a helmet. They can be rented for $20 or you can bring your own SA95 or M rated helmet.

You don't have to take a course. In the C group it's lead-follow with an instructor leading a group of 5-6 cars. On the front straight the first person moves to the back so each person gets a chance to follow the instructor to learn the proper line. What you'll find even more useful is to have someone ride in the car with you who knows the track.

Next track day is Oct 9. I can probably come out for a bit to ride with you for a couple sessions. I know Chris (RedWing) will be there that weekend too.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

let me get back to you.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:23 AM

Default Also check with BMW Club

You can also drive with the BMW Club on there track days. Do not worry about what you drive. I went with them last year with my A4. There were
Porsches, BMW, Audi, Nissans, etc. It does not matter what you drive with them. I liked it because I ate some BMW on the track.

Kevin
Old 09-09-2004, 05:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Oct 9, 10 Panoz

Confirmed, I am registered for both days.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Cool, be sure to post any pics + impressions!
Old 09-09-2004, 02:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I will..........

I did a track day when my car was stock about a year ago. My impressions were:

a) The car in stock form really needs a suspension upgrade. This "mod" is even more important than a chip.

b) I am a crappy driver.

I'm anxious to see if the car is easier to drive with my mods. I'm afraid item (b) won't be any better................
Old 09-10-2004, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

no hard feelings there rob. hey, can we still be friends though?! P