Suspension Tuning Discussion Discussion forum for general topics regarding suspension tuning

koni FSD raises up the car-poor steering response

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default koni FSD raises up the car-poor steering response

Really love this form! seeking comfortable rides i decided to install a set of KONI FSd on my Audi A6 2010 with original stock springs ON, i have noticed that the car has resin a bit and the steering wheel has become more softer than before and poor steering response! i missed the quick harsh response in steering! now there is a feel of looseness when i turn the steering wheel right and left!! while im driving high speeds!! also the feel of grip is not like before!
is this because the car has resin a bit! and i need to change the springs!! is there a way to use my original springs and get my stiff steering experience back!
Old 03-19-2012, 03:43 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm... that is odd for a replacement strut to raise your ride heights in conjunction with the factory springs. Did you install the struts yourself?

The poor steering response may be a cause of the softer dampening. It sounds like they were focused too much on the comfort aspect. Unfortunately when you are geared toward comfort performance is sadly left behind.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my post:-).

No i didn't do it my self i took it to an Audi garage! i can post some picture from my old stock suspension! if it helps! and a picture of the car too. Maybe they missed out a part or two from the original stock dampers when the removed it such as a rubber cap??. However, It's been a while now and the ride is 50% better in terms of comfort than the old stock dampers!!
i love the soft ride experience i even, took it to high speeds reaching 220km/h and the driving is smooth no bouncing or so!

i guess the dampers elevated the ride , i'm thinking of e-mailing KONI and addressing this issue.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Some of this sounds like alignment. Do you have a printout of the final alignment specs?

Now, any gas shock has a small spring component that pushes the car up. That's what gas pressure does, although it is intended to reduce aeration. I believe the OEM shocks are also low pressure gas,so i would not expect the FSDs to make any substantial difference.

I would go back to your installer, and ask hm about each. I would also call Koni and ask its spec for ride height.

Most people seem to like the FSDs for comfort. I, On the other hand, will err the other direction with Bilsteins; when the time comes. My 10-year old S6 shocks are just beginning to fade.

G
Old 08-18-2012, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes, a little but first:

1. it should not have raise the car much. Both OE and FSD are lo pressure gas. So something seems amiss.

2. Steering feel and response are more impacted by springs than shocks, and FSDs are likely no softer than OEM sachs comfort shocks.

3. If its higher, the tie rods are now at a different angle. If the TREs are at a different angle, the effective length is longer or shorter depending (length = hypotenuse*sinX). If the TRE length is off, he either has toe in or toe out, neither gives good steering feel or response.

G
Old 11-07-2012, 09:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Nice post. I like it. Thanks for sharing these information. Keep it up.