Suspension Tuning Discussion Discussion forum for general topics regarding suspension tuning

Springs, Shocks/Springs or Coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Springs, Shocks/Springs or Coilovers?

I want to improve the handling on my B6 S4. I drive pretty hard, but I'm not looking for a track or autocross suspension. I appreciate how comfortable the S4 is when you're not driving hard, and I'd like to preserve some of that (although I realize better handling will cost some increased harshness). I already have new H&R front and rear sway bars ordered.

All three spring/shock options will allow me to lower the car at least an inch, but only the coilovers will let me adjust the height if the springs don't look "right". I have heard that complaint about sport springs, although not necessarily on the S4.

I guess my biggest question is whether the the cost of new shocks/springs or coilovers is worth it? I don't mind spending the money if I get what I'm paying for, but how much better will the car handle with performance shocks/sport springs or coilovers vs just sport springs over the stock shocks?
Old 11-19-2007, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default if you can find a spring/shock combo that is properly matched and has a ride

height that you like then the spring/shock combo will work great. I personally prefer coilovers since i could dial in the ride height i wanted and also could get a much stiffer suspension than the regular spring/shock combo.

Honestly the best thing you could do is to meet up with some local B6 S4 owners with modified suspension and go for some rides and look at their cars. You may find a good spring/shock combo that you like. If not you will have to hit up a set of coilovers.

The KW V2 & V3's coilovers offer very comfortable spring rates and very good dampening characteristics. They are also some what afforable in the $1500ish price range.

As for the other options out there, you might find the Bilstein PSS9's a little firm and the STaSIS Tracksports will be even firmer firm.

More of my 2 cents.. You may want to look at the size of the H&R front back and maybe skip it. Adding just the rear bar helps alot with the understeer tendencies. A 24mm rear bar will help a ton and keep the front bar stock.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:39 PM

Default Re: if you can find a spring/shock combo that is properly matched and has a ride

Thanks for the response, Eric. I do need to find a club around here with some S4 owners so I can get a ride or two. Hopefully some of them would have suspension mods that would give me some idea what I could look forward to. I doubt even the Tracksports would be too firm for my tastes, but I have other people in the car at times that might feel differently about the ride. Since I'm not really planning to track the car, I'm just trying to find that line between maximum handling improvement without getting stupid or wasting money.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default go for as many rides as possible. Buy the best you can the first time. If anything

it is better to buy a better suspenion up front instead of upgrading later. I bought the STaSIS Streetsports first and a year later after a couple track days, a HDPE and a couple auto-x's it just wasn't 'enough' suspension.

I now have the STaSIS Tracksports and they are perfect for my needs. My wife feels they are a 'tad' firm sometimes, but her car isn't much softer on the Vogtlands...