2014 Q5 3.0 TDI coolant regulating valve

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2020, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2014 Q5 3.0 TDI coolant regulating valve

My TDI developed a slow coolant leak. Really slow. I could never find anything, just the vague smell of antifreeze, sometimes. I looked online & one possible culprit was the EGR cooler. That would be covered under the emission warranty. So I took it into the dealer & they said the intake would need to come off to find the leak. They determined the leak to be coming from the coolant regulating valve & said it was a part that is rebuildable with a new gasket kit & flange. The estimate is $1900 (ugh...) including an oil change. I have looked online & not found out what the coolant regulating valve is, however I keep finding the EGR cooler. Is this part of the cooler? Anyone else with the same experience or any ideas?
Old 03-08-2020, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...ssues-2963762/
The following users liked this post:
DucatiJoe (05-12-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

It took awhile, but Audi reimbursed me for the repairs. The dealer said it was not covered, however I opened up a claim with Audi USA & they eventually covered it. Thank you for the thread link, it helped me out!
The following 2 users liked this post by DucatiJoe:
amanmann (11-03-2020), Built4Sin (05-12-2020)
Old 11-03-2020, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DucatiJoe
It took awhile, but Audi reimbursed me for the repairs. The dealer said it was not covered, however I opened up a claim with Audi USA & they eventually covered it. Thank you for the thread link, it helped me out!
I'm having the same issue with my 13 Q7 TDI. Dealer diagnosed the leak was from the coolant regulating valve. Estimate of $1500 in repairs. As per dealer, it's not covered by the extended warranty. I did have a prior coolant leak attributed to the EGR cooler which was covered under warranty.
How did you open the claim with Audi USA? Did you pay for repairs out of pocket first and then get reimbursed later?
Old 11-03-2020, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by amanmann
I'm having the same issue with my 13 Q7 TDI. Dealer diagnosed the leak was from the coolant regulating valve. Estimate of $1500 in repairs. As per dealer, it's not covered by the extended warranty. I did have a prior coolant leak attributed to the EGR cooler which was covered under warranty.
How did you open the claim with Audi USA? Did you pay for repairs out of pocket first and then get reimbursed later?
The dealer denied the claim. I paid the bill. I started googling this thing like you are. This is an emission part. I went to the link above (to arm myself with info) and opened a claim with Audi USA. Audi USA said at first it would be denied, however they said they would open it up, even though the answer would probably be no. Audi decided it was indeed an emission part & had the dealer refund it.

So cliff note wise, you will get nowhere with the dealer. Call (dont try to email this!!!!) Audi US and open up a claim. Going to the links in this thread you will have proof that it was paid. I pointed that out in my discussion with the help. Good luck & if I can help - let me know. They will pay the claim & I am an average Joe, not an attorney .
Old 11-04-2020, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The dealer denied the claim. I paid the bill. I started googling this thing like you are. This is an emission part. I went to the link above (to arm myself with info) and opened a claim with Audi USA. Audi USA said at first it would be denied, however they said they would open it up, even though the answer would probably be no. Audi decided it was indeed an emission part & had the dealer refund it.

So cliff note wise, you will get nowhere with the dealer. Call (dont try to email this!!!!) Audi US and open up a claim. Going to the links in this thread you will have proof that it was paid. I pointed that out in my discussion with the help. Good luck & if I can help - let me know. They will pay the claim & I am an average Joe, not an attorney .
Thanks for writing back. I called Audi Customer Service and they outright denied it being covered. They tried to cover this under goodwill but the dealer didn't agree to it.
I'm now in a dilemma to whether pay for this and try to get a claim approved or just sell the car without the repair since it's given me so much trouble (5 trips to the dealer in the last 15 months).
Old 01-25-2022, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

I also have a coolant leak on my 2014 Audi Q5 TDI. However, the leak started at 128k miles. Being beyond the 120k warranty, I assume I'm out of luck getting Audi to cover this. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 03-18-2022, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Coolant shutoff valve

hi there. I have a Q7TDI and they are telling me my coolant leak is the coolant shutoff valve. Is that the same part that you are referencing that Audi US claim paid for?
Old 03-18-2022, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Coolant shutoff valve

hi there. I have a Q7TDI and they are telling me my coolant leak is the coolant shutoff valve. Is that the same part that you are referencing that Audi US claim paid for?
Old 03-25-2022, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hello All,

I just picked up my 2015 Q7 today, 3/25, after having it towed to the dealership on 01/17.

At the end of December, I noticed a substantial leak on my garage floor. I took the vehicle to my local shop who, eventually after misdiagnosing incorrectly at first, diagnosed a EGR cooler leak.

I checked the Audi extended warranty, and realized the EGR was covered under the extended. I contacted the dealership, and the soonest they could get me in with a loaner was 01/17. On 01/16, the vehicle left my wife stranded on the side of the road, and I had to have it towed to the dealership.

After over two months and a myriad of tests, the dealership finally diagnosed the car to have multiple sensors needing replacement, and a turbocharger assembly that was internally seized.

The total cost of repair was covered under the extended warranty, and the dealership never really gave me a hard time, or tried scamming me with something not warranty related. Service advisor was extremely professional throughout, and ultimately was able to get the vehicle repaired at no cost to us. I kept asking about the EGR leak, and they maintained that it did not need any service, so I’m still concerned not all issues have been resolved as I observed clear evidence of a leak and my local shop is extremely reputable. Anyway, that’s my TDI disaster story. We actively car shopping as I post this. Please feel free to hmu with any questions.

Quick Reply: 2014 Q5 3.0 TDI coolant regulating valve