TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

"Early Build" 2001 Roadsters

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2000, 06:53 PM
Topken

Default "Early Build" 2001 Roadsters

My dealer, with whom I placed a deposit long before most of you were born, told me that he had an allotment of 2 "early build" 225hp roadsters and that one was for me. He said it could be in as early as the end of March. Anybody else heard anything like this? Also, since this is a 2001 model, will it have ESP?
I've been in a FWD roadster in Europe. I thought that would help me in my wait, but alas, it only made it harder.
Old 02-15-2000, 07:03 PM
Craig Syverson

Default Re: "Early Build" 2001 Roadsters

I was offered a similar car with similar timing from Rusnak in Pasadena, CA. Seems like some dealers got special "gift" allocations from Audi. That's the good news. The bad news for me was that they were not able to make any specifications on the car - they were just going to get what Audi was going to send them. Needless to say, all the cars Rusnak were getting were fully loaded with every option. I passed. Don't know if the March date is still valid. They might get the cars, but they may not be able to sell them until May.

Good luck on the wait. I dread each clear sunny day until I take delivery - at least I've got clear suuny days in the Winter, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much...

I trust that you enjoyed the ride of the FWD? How was the "wind-blown" factor of the drive with the rear windscreen up (assumuing this one had it)?

Craig Syverson
2001 180 FWD Roadster Silver/Ebony - due May 2000
Old 02-15-2000, 07:19 PM
Topken

Glad to know I am not alone. My dealer called me so I could spec what I wanted. I chose my color (green, same as I rode in Europe) and all the options except the phone/GPS system. Old fashioned analog phone and I won't be driving far enough from home to spend the money. Of course, prices were unknown. Let's see if I get what I ordered.
Yes, the rear windscreen was up, but since I wasn't allowed to leave the dealership, it was hardly a test.
Old 02-15-2000, 07:32 PM
Brian M.

I too received the same from my dealer. I was lower on the list, but the special "fourth" allocation car just happened to be the color (Amulet Red) and interior (ebony) and top (black) combination that I wanted. It was also a Quattro.

I was promised delivery before Memorial Day. The dealer could not confirm ESP on my car.
Old 02-15-2000, 09:37 PM
Gene

I rec'd confirmation of first week of march build (no gift allocation I suppose.) My dealer tried to add the ESP but week 18 seems to be the earliest.
I think I'll probably wait. (sunny days until Nov. here.)

Still waiting.

Gene
Old 02-15-2000, 10:40 PM
franck rouppert

Default DO NOT BUY THOSE : check the week of production !

The early built Roadsters have a very bad handling. They have the "unmod" suspensions BUT they have much much softer shock absorbers.
They drive like Sedans AND the stability
problems at high speeds are much increased.
You lose 2 times.
Many of these cars are still unsold in showrooms in Europe.
Of course, you can get the mods on them like on the coupes, but ESP is interesting.
I prefered to order mine.
Old 02-16-2000, 02:32 AM
Richard

I have been following this discussion for quite some time. My 225 Roadster has been "on deposit" since fall '98. It was converted to order status in early January and the dealer said it should arrive in April (my order is #1 of his two allocations). The "Audi customer advocate" with whom I spoke on Monday (Jeryl) assured me that as long as my car was designated a 2001 model, it would have ESP. She was aware of this discussion group and assured me that the official word was all 2001 TT's would have ESP. If it comes without it, I'll continue driving my Z3 until I can purchase the car I want.
Old 02-16-2000, 02:30 PM
What does this have to with U.S.?

Huh?
Old 02-16-2000, 10:05 PM
franck

Default Before Week 50 - 1999 all Roadsters handle badly

... I think that in the US as well, like in Europe, you must have unsold "showcars" produced before week 50 that will really need to be modified, UNLIKE the coupes.
The suspension of these "early" roadsters is really much too soft, which increases the stability problems at high speed AND causes understeer.
Old 02-17-2000, 05:41 AM
Ease up on the misinformation. Thanks.

Uh, no, we don't. Only roadsters currently in U.S. are owned by Audi

Quick Reply: "Early Build" 2001 Roadsters