TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Was THAT "turbo lag"? (more)

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2000, 03:07 PM
Janet

Cool, Marius....I'm breathless with anticipation for more "helpful hints"!! ;-)
Old 02-15-2000, 04:07 PM
DavidL

Default Re: Turbo Lag (more)

I have the 180fwd and I must admit I don't feel much lag. However, the car certainly pulls very well in the mid-range around 2500-4000 revs, probably what you felt. If this is the turbo kicking in I don't know, but the car pulls pretty well from zero. I do find though it runs out of steam through the gears well before the red-line.

Having driven a Porsche 911 turbo I have really experienced turbo lag. I remember it seemed to stall for a couple of seconds when I put my foot down and then WOW off like a rocket - very frightening.
Old 02-16-2000, 12:54 AM
Marius

Default Don't hold your breath, just "explore" engine behavior when your out of traffic (more)

Before launching, raise rpm's to 3-4000. Then, simultaneously floor the throttle and lift the clutch, using only the clutch to avoid the rpm's to rise or fall much before the driveline connects fully after a short second. It's not really difficult, and it's safe, in the meaning that nothing gets broken if you're less than perfect.

When you get to redline just go off the throttle, brake down and do it again. You'll get the hang of it very quickly. And yes, in a Q this is NASA stuff.

After that, consentrate on a quick shift from first to second, but not before you reach redline in first! That will give you all the glorious G's of first (FWD drivers, eat your heart out!) and avoid the weaker bottom part of second.

Once you know you can do this, you'll decide that this is not something we do every day of the week, but it's sooo good to know it's in your repertoir. Like packing a concealed magnum.

Enjoy!

Marius
Old 02-16-2000, 06:09 PM
Janet

Thanks for the detailed message.....will be trying it when I get a good opportunity, Marius!