TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

*Advice / Testimonials Needed* - Brakes for the Track

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *Advice / Testimonials Needed* - Brakes for the Track

Ran our '02 TT ALMS at Blackhawk Farms Raceway through the ACNA and toasted the rotors. They felt really good for the first day but I felt problems during the end of the second day. Anyways, AUDI replaced the rotors but I would like some advice BESIDES a big brake kit. I was told that you can run track pads just for the event and your rotors will be fine. I also read on another forum that the Mintek pads will eat up our rotors something fierce. I am planning on running at Gingerman Raceway in a couple of weeks and would like to do something before that weekend. Thx
Old 08-22-2003, 06:05 PM

Default go with an STaSIS BBK

same stuff as on the STaSIS A4 race cars
Old 08-22-2003, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default EBC Red Stuff

I am going to run EBC Red Stuff front and rear at Sebring in October. I also ordered drilled and slotted rotors from ECS Tuning today, and I will run Motul 600 fluid. I've heard a lot of good feedback about the EBC's. Email for info on my source for the pads. I got a very good deal.
Old 08-22-2003, 06:18 PM

Default Re: EBC Red Stuff

Talked to a guy at blackhawk about the EBC pads and he said that you will burn them up at one track event.
Old 08-22-2003, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

What kind of car was he running them on? I've heard quite the contrary, and to be honest it is so hard to find 1 brand of pad everyone agree's on.
Old 08-22-2003, 06:27 PM

I think he was running an S4 at the time but the guy was pretty big into racing at one time and he worked for Dunlop. Sounded like he knew what he talking about. A friend of mine is running the Green stuff pads with drilled rotors on his A4 Avant and has been happy with them.
Old 08-22-2003, 06:30 PM
gtt
AudiWorld Super User

Default Been there done that stock.....now use AP Racing.....

They key to running stock is not over using the brakes. Other pads such as Mintex c-Tech will help but you still will have to deal with heat in the rotors and caliper. Flush brakes, keep replacement rotors and pads if you don't want to upgrade. Tracking a car on a road course is not easy on a car and components will fail. I ran a few 2 day schools and some single day events. Stock brakes are fine if you take it easy on entering turns and not ride your brakes. Get off them early and power throught the turns. You basically are driving a fine line....fast and furious with an eye toward preserving the brakes. No you don't need fancy brakes but it's a safety issue if you decide to push it.
Old 08-22-2003, 06:35 PM

So running different pads will not help the rotors?
Old 08-22-2003, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I am with him... I have AP Racing brakes also (thanks Larry!)...

they are real solid and no longer get the fade I did on the track. After 2 days on the track my stock brakes were fading away cause of the heat, not because of lack of rotor or pad, both were fine. Then again my tires were also pretty shot after 2 days :-)
Old 08-22-2003, 06:50 PM
gtt
AudiWorld Super User

Default You can get better performance but you may sacrafice useful life.

If you want to go really cheap, just do some better pads like the c-techs and keep a spare set. Find the limits of the brakes and go from there. You can always replace stock type rotors inexpensively.

Quick Reply: *Advice / Testimonials Needed* - Brakes for the Track