TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

04 TT tranny issues (mechatronic unit)?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 04 TT tranny issues (mechatronic unit)?

Hey Guys - My wife's 04 TT auto (mk1 / DSG?) tranny suddenly disengaged resulting in no gearing options at all (forward, backward, etc). She said the gear window display blinked, but no codes or trouble lights were seen. There was also no grinding noised etc. The car simply disengaged the tranny while in gear and driving down the road.

We had it towed to Audi for their inspection. They just called insisting the entire transmission needs to be replaced for $8,200. When pushed as to exactly what was join, they said a solenoid internally in the tranny has failed.

I know very little about Audi's, but have fair knowledge on other vehicles. This didn't make sense to me.

Based on about an hours crash course on DSG transmissions it appears to me that the problem is most likely a failed 'mechatronic unit'. Does this sound accurate?

To your knowledge, is there any other solenoid interior on the tranny that would require the entire tranny be replaced?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Ken

Old 12-07-2015, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure where you're located, but if it's just a solenoid, you only need to replace the Transmission Valve Body, not the whole transmission. Find an independent transmission place that works on Audi/VWs and they'll probably be able to do it for $1800.
Old 12-08-2015, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

HiBob, I'm in NJ USA and yes the code generated appears to be a singlesolenoid. Thank you for this information which I'll now start researching.

TheAudi dealer initially was insistent on replacing the entire tranny forover 8k. They said the failed part was deep in the tranny and they wouldhave to remove the tranny and crack it open to replace the failed part(s).High labor costs would make replacing the entire tranny the only option. Ofcourse (common sense) dictates that to replace the tranny they would have to removeand reinstall a new one. So the labor for removing/installing would have beenthe same.

Theygave my wife no other options.

Onlywhen I pushed that the most likely cause was the Mechatronic Unit which was accessible without dropping the entire trannydid they alter their position and admit that replacing the Mechatronic unit waspossible.

Thanksfor providing this even more rational approach to (potentially) fixing thisproblem. My wife and I both love this car.

Ken

Old 12-08-2015, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not a mechanic, but had a similar situation on my wife's TT. I'm in NC and there is a transmission guy here that basically said the transmission itself is like a tank, but all the accompanying parts, not so much. Ours wasn't as bad as to be completely disengaged, but was acting pretty scary.

While I know dealers are usually the first source of troubleshooting, they rarely have the staff or skillsets to really do much else than "rip & replace." Find a good indie guy and you'll be a happy camper.
Old 12-08-2015, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Bob - Again thanks! Your comments which make perfect sense. I just don't see the need to replace an entire transmission (by default) when there is no sign of clutch, gear issues, etc.

Based on a quick crash course of the tranny, it looks like a novel idea and (mechanically) well designed. It's been shown that the controlling unit(s) have issues; But dealing with them specifically, makes the most sense to me, if the tranny hasn't shown any other issues.

Cheers
Ken
Old 12-12-2015, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Audi dealers do not open & repair automatic transmissions; they remove & replace with "factory remanufactured" units. They will open & repair manual transmissions though.

If you want your original transmission repaired; an independent shop, preferably one that specializes in European cars is your only choice.
Old 12-13-2015, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Mister - Thanks.. This is really good to information to know.

Thanks
Ken