TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

1.8Q A4 or TT: Very tough decision.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-1999, 06:13 PM
Aaron

Default 1.8Q A4 or TT: Very tough decision.

Help! I am having an extremely difficult time deciding between the 1.8Q A4 and the TT. I like each for specific reasons, but unfortunately, the plusses an minuses are pretty much equal. I am 27, single, no kids (just for reference sake). I realize that I am the only one who can make the decision, but maybe somebody out there can give me some advice to help me along. Thanks.<p>Here where I'm at so far:<p>TT<br>-I appreciate the artistic styling<br>-More powerful<br>-Stiffer, sportier suspension<br>-More of a "head turner" (not as common)<p>A4<br>-More room<br>-More luxurious feeling<br>-Less expensive (not by much though)<br>-Sun roof (this is a big one)<br>-Has REAL back seats<br>-Could be more sensible (I hate that word) in the long run<br>-I wouldn't have to wait 5-7 months (blah!)<br>
Old 07-14-1999, 06:18 PM
steve

Default Re: 1.8Q A4 or TT: Very tough decision.

Either wait until all the fury and hype calms down and then make a sane decision, or perhaps look at other possibilities...Honda S2000 or BMW Z3...or a Geo Metro. Seriously, the decision really is yours! Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 07-14-1999, 06:42 PM
Ivan Lindenfeld

Get the TT. Get the TT. Get the TT. <p>Just think of all the interesting people you'll meet who want to know about you...er...your TT.<p>Get the TT. Get the TT. Get the TT. <p>There's a certain passion about the TT, a special something; the crisp shifts, the sound of the turbo layered beneath the sound of the exhaust, the little surprises when you find one more thing that was designed into the car that makes you grin. (aircon vent adjusters, the rubber grips in the pedals that are NOT slippery when wet, the cornering ability, the feel of the perfectly proportioned steering wheel)<p>Get the TT. Get the TT. Get the TT. <p>My $.02. Of course, I am a little biased: 1087 miles on my Silver/Black 180T.<p>Good Luck!<br>
Old 07-14-1999, 06:54 PM
Carl

Default Simple

Aaron,<p>You have a very good chance of pulling up to a light, turning to your right and seeing a grey-haired old lady driving a sensible A4 just like yours. The odds decrease substatially if you're in a TT instead.<p>I have two kids and a wife, drive a 90S, my wife has an A6. Enough sensibility for one lifetime. I have a 180Q on order for September.<p>So my wife says: "But the car doesn't fit all four of us!". I said: "Exactly."<p>I'm getting the TT out of my system BEFORE the college payments start.<p>Do it man. You KNOW you don't want to pull up behind a TT one day in your nice reliable A4. You KNOW it will hurt.<p>Feel the force. Close your eyes and feel the force Luke. Now go put down the deposit.<p><p>
Old 07-14-1999, 07:09 PM
Rik

Default Drove a friends a-4 this weekend and the winner is....

The TT.<br> really , I like how my new beetle feels & drives & had more room than the a-4.<br> NO kids? <br>Moonroofs are fine but I can live w/o one Forever, <br>If you have this kind of quandry, WITH ALL DUE RESPECT, do not get the TT.<br> I agree with the statement that you should buy something else like a Honda. If you have a hard choice between the a-4 & the TT. Then you are missing the point & will probably never get it. It's all about emotion my friend. <p>Rik
Old 07-14-1999, 07:14 PM
Cliff melick

aaron: in the order you mentioned them:<p>(1) what do you need more room for? you're single with no children.<br>(2) luxury is for someone with old bones. you are only 27.<br>(3) less expensive? so what is money for? it was made to be spent!<br>(4) sun roof? exposure to too much sun causes skin cancer.<br>(5) real back seats? without kids, you don't need them. and motel rooms are much more comfortable than back seats.<br>(6) more sensible? maybe. but certainly less sensational.<br>(7) "anything worth having is worth waiting for".<p>so put down your deposit on the tt tomorrow, or you'll have a longer wait.
Old 07-14-1999, 07:15 PM
Steve S.

Default 5 to 7 months wait?......I don't think so

That kind of wait use to be prevalent when the 1.8T just got released...but it is not the case now. You do have August coming though....when everyone in Germany goes en-masse to the French Riveria for holiday. I realistically think you can get one that is allocated, you can change it midstream. The wait would be 3.5 to 4 months.<p>I am kinda partial to the A4...but I am getting an S4 in February 2000.<p>Steve S.<br>97 2.8QM
Old 07-14-1999, 07:17 PM
John P.

Aaron-<br>We are in a similar demographic. My advice? Get either. Some considerations in favor of the TT:<br>1. The A4 back seats are not very spacious themselves.<br>2. The A4, while still beautiful, has existed in similar form for several years and is scheduled for a replacement relatively soon. On the upside, most of its quirks have been smoothed over and you can pay less than MSRP.<br>3. The A4 isn't very quick in "stock" form. Of course, its merits are found elsewhere in abundance. If you wanted 0-60 times you'd be at "corral.net."<br>4. The A4 is nevertheless a raging bargain! It's what I'd get if my name wasn't on the list for a 225 TT.<br>Either way, you'll be happy (as you ponder how the grass is greener on the other side). However, consider that being "sensible" is not necessarily being smart at your (our) age. Get the car that's most fun. You'll always be able to justify purchasing a sedan later!<br>John P.
Old 07-14-1999, 07:19 PM
Steve S.

Default In the words of Dan Akroyd....Jane you ignorant #%$&.

The best possibility for someone driving up to you with grey hair...is someone driving an A6. :-)<p>Give me a break on the A4 comment.<p>Steve S.<br>97 A4 2.8QM<br>00 S4 (feb 2000?)
Old 07-14-1999, 07:44 PM
Ari Jay Comet

Default Pros/Cons and the Ultimate Debate!

Coming out of a highly modified (265+ HP turbocharged Dodge Neon) that was basically not a "streetable" car for anyone but a 23-year-old like myself, I am part-and-partial to the TT here. Like yourself, I'm quite interested in something stylish, sports, fun to drive, attractive, and "different".<p>However, based on your similar profile to mine, but a few years older, the back seat and the extra doors might not be a bad idea. (I got my girlfriend a Honda Civic just so we could go out with friends and still have a car to do it in!).<p>The A4 is a great car. Where else can $500 give you 50HP instantly? (www.tap1.com - Chip and intake upgrade = instant HP!) So, if you really want to have a car that is both a sedan AND a performance car, the A4 has that taken care of!<p>On the other hand, nothing currently sturts around like the Audi TT. The 180HP lacks the overall "punch" that the stance of the car offers - but the 225HP version is sure to take care of that. And it isnt all about power. It is about "attitude" - or as someone else say, "emotion".<p>If you want a car with spunk, get the TT. If you want a car with potential to be a great daily driver, and/or a great car to tinker/toy with for sporty driving, the A4 is great too. (laser red.. laser red... laser red... heheh)..<p>Sorry for the bandwidth... Good luck!<br>-Ari

Quick Reply: 1.8Q A4 or TT: Very tough decision.