TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

1.8Q A4 or TT: Very tough decision.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-1999, 07:59 PM
parkerpt

Default Knock yourself out...

get the TT. Its awesome. I just read the 6/99 Car&Driver article about the TT and I'm already trying to figure out how I can afford my current A4 AND the 225Q TT when it hits the shores sometime next year. To quote C&D's verdict: "A visual and tactile master stroke that stimulates the brain's pleasure centers like few other forms of adult entertainment." I vote for getting the TT. <p>parkerpt<br>99.5 1.8T qms
Old 07-14-1999, 09:28 PM
sai

Default I was in your position about two months ago... (more)

Aaron,<p>I went thru the same situation a month and a half ago, and I am in the same demographic group as yourself. I bought the TT. Here was my reasoning:<p>I worked in Germany for about four months, so after that experience, I didn't even consider Japanese or American cars. I narrowed my choices to the TT, A4 1.8T quattro, or the BMW 323i.<p>The Emotional Debate<br>The TT<br>(looking at it): Holy s@#t! what a beautiful car!<br>(sitting in it): Wow! It has this very cool blue leather interior. To steal someone else's words from an earlier post-- da bomb!! I *need* this car!<p>The A4<br>a classy car! very clean lines... hmm... do i really need 4 doors? do I really want four doors? nah! awesome interior design!<p>The 323<br>looks like every other BMW 4-door.<p>The Practical Debate<br>The 323- IMHO, it was overpriced for what it offered. The inline 6 is a fantastic engine, as well as the chassis.<p>The A4- In addition to the advantages you mentioned, it had lower insurance premiums than the TT. Also, if you race, the A4 1.8T has a lot more mods available then the TT. Also, rumor has it that the 2000 A4 1.8T will sport the 180hp engine. you may want to check a4.org. Also, the A4 has a lower street profile than the TT. I personally don't like all the attention the TT sometimes attracts. Oh yeah... you can get very good deals on the A4... again check a4.org<p>The TT- Let's see... gets good mileage if you don't have a lead foot (~29MPG w/ partial lead foot), decent size trunk... ahh... who cares?!?! Did I mention the cool blue interior?<p>The bottom line came down to the fact that I had a chance to buy a wicked cool car and enjoy it in my 20s, and that was too good to pass up. I can always buy a 4-door later in life. If you get a TT don't pay over MSRP.<p>Good luck!<p>Sai<br>
Old 07-14-1999, 10:09 PM
Carl

Default You can NOT deny it, truth hurts.

Chill. First of all, my wife drives the A6 even though I'm getting the gray hair. But c'mon now, EVERYONE is driving the A4 these days, you KNOW it's true! They're EVERYWHERE! Sheesh, he should get the TT and we all know it.
Old 07-14-1999, 11:06 PM
///

Default I'd say get the A4...

...sure the TT looks cool- but do you want all that attention? An A4 w/ chip and modified suspension would give you comparable performance in a sleeper package. Finally, I'm not so sure how well the looks of the TT will hold up. Sure, it looks great now, but how about in a couple of years when the novelty wears off? Will the appeal still be there, or will the design tire your eyes. Wild designs rarely age well, and if TTs become too prominent then much of the appeal will be lost. Ther A4, however, is a pretty classy shape that should hold well. All my opinion, no flame.
Old 07-15-1999, 04:36 AM
Joe

Default Been there

Hi Aaron,<p>Same exact story here. Although my final list came down to TT vs. Honda Prelude SH. The Prelude might have involved an even longer wait. Probably a lot more reliable, but its also a Honda, in the same generic flavor as the Accord.<p>The A4 is gorgeous, but literally all over the roads here in CT, and if there is one thing I can't stand its the cookie-cutter "me too"isms that can lead to be unable to find your car in a parking lot.<p>Single, no kids, still young enough to enjoy a small car... I ordered a TT. I figure I'll be an adult later. <p>Good luck with your decision!
Old 07-15-1999, 05:29 AM
///

Default I'd say get the A4...

...sure the TT looks cool- but do you want all that attention? An A4 w/ chip and modified suspension would give you comparable performance in a sleeper package. Finally, I'm not so sure how well the looks of the TT will hold up. Sure, it looks great now, but how about in a couple of years when the novelty wears off? Will the appeal still be there, or will the design tire your eyes. Wild designs rarely age well, and if TTs become too prominent then much of the appeal will be lost. Ther A4, however, is a pretty classy shape that should hold well. All my opinion, no flame.
Old 07-15-1999, 05:40 AM
Steve S.

Default In California and in the Northeast..yes, A4s are very prevalent....

But, in other places in the US..it is another thing altogether.<p>Don't get me wrong...I like the TT...and if I was a major stockholder in Microsoft I may have a lot of cars in my 9 car garage...one might have been a 225 bhp TT Q.<p>All I am saying is that having a TT as the sole car may not be the best thing. Having a TT in a family as the 'third' car is much more palatable for me.<p>If he wants to be noticed...the TT is surely the car of choice. I personally like cars with nice lines that are sleepers. Everyones has a right to an opinion.<p>Steve S.<br>97 A4 2.8QM<br>00 S4 (feb?)
Old 07-15-1999, 07:20 AM
Carl

Default It took a while, but we agree then...

...If I could, I would keep the 90S (ore re-up with an A4) for winter so that the TT could be even more pampered. But the bride's A6 is just too big. So I think through some circuitous logic pattern we agree: Get a TT, then get an A4 to keep it company?
Old 07-15-1999, 07:25 AM
nt

sorry, accidental repost
Old 07-15-1999, 07:34 AM
Tony

Default Re: 1.8Q A4 or TT: Live now Young Man!

Look at it this way, you are young, no kids, no wife, and you have money to spend on yourself. My boy go out and live now because tomorrow will be different as far as freedom is concern. Don't wait till you have gray in your hair to do the things young men do!

Quick Reply: 1.8Q A4 or TT: Very tough decision.