TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

1.8Q A4 or TT: Very tough decision.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-1999, 07:56 AM
Denny

Default Agree with Joe

Everywhere you go in CT, you see A4s. Sort of the new darling of the yuppie crowd. Get the TT NOW or else you'll have to wait, like I did, until you've finished putting two kids through college. I'm not complaining, but it was a long wait to have the car I always wanted. To quote an old song, "Don't think twice, it's all right."
Old 07-15-1999, 08:59 AM
Adil

Default Tough decision made easy

I am in the same position, although I am a bit younger than you (23) and 1-2 years away from grad school. I've had my '97 A4 2.8QMS for 2 years now, I now crave more speed, low-end torque, and a brilliant design.<p>So I asked my dad, thinking he will talk some sense into me. But he said "Get the TT! You live alone, you don't need 4 doors or a back seat. When we visit, we'll just rent a car!"<p>And now, I know what I have to do... Come May 2000, when my current lease ends, I have to get a 225hp TT!<p>P.S. The only problem is: if I get into business school, what will I do with a leased TT??!! I surely won't be able to afford it then. Does anyone know if a leased car can be sold/leased to someone else?
Old 07-15-1999, 09:20 AM
Crisp

Default Re: TT: Not too tough of a decision.

Aaron<p>I just turned 27. I bought the TT when I was 26. My previous car was a 1997 Volvo 855 R wagon - I got that car when I was 24. I bought that car because it had back seats and a whole lot of storage room to go camping, biking, climbing, etc.... Plus the car was much better than a SUV for handling and very fast - even faster than the TT. Surprisingly, though when the TT came out - I sold my Volvo <p>I was worried that I would miss having the completely utilitarian car that it was. Well I do miss it, but not as much as I enjoy owning this!!!!!!<p>I received a lot of flack for being young, and single then, for owning a wagon. It would have been OK to my peers, to have owned a SUV that sucks in all forms. So my retort was that I had a lowered SUV. <p>Back to the TT thought, though. There are surprisingly plenty of room for extras with the rear seats down. My wife and I went camping on the fourth (a 4 day weekend for us) with all of our stuff and two dogs to the hill country of West Austin. The dogs are Jack Russell terriers - so they are smaller dogs, but still, not one of us was cramped. It was a blast. The next trip we are going to New Mexico, and as of right now we still plan on bringing the dogs. <p>Get the fun car now! When you have kids or need rear seats for other passengers - get the sedan. The A4 should be restyled again by then <p>Happy TT'ing or A4'ing.<br>
Old 07-15-1999, 01:26 PM
J.G.

Default Now this post makes a lot of common sense !

About time someone on this BB saw the light !
Old 07-15-1999, 01:43 PM
Todd C.

Default Same decision....with a spin!

Aaron,<p>Maybe hearing my quandry will help you out. I'm 32, married, and with 2 kids (5 & 2). My wife drives a minivan (MPV) and takes the kids everywhere (she is a stay-at-home mom and loves it). I'm facing the same decision as you, the TT or an A4 (and in AZ, the A4 isn't as "everywhere"). It's hard for me to decide because if I got the TT...well we still have the MPV to haul the family around. But what if we need the other car at some time? I'm also in sales and often entertain clients. What if I have the TT and there's more than 1 person joining me? I certainly won't be taking the MPV!<p>On the other hand....I think, hey if I were Aaron and wasn't married, had no children, etc. then I would lease a TT and when the lease was up, re-assess my situation (married since, different job, etc.).<p>Have fun with either.....and I'm personally leaning towards the A4 -- at least for today <p>Todd
Old 07-15-1999, 02:23 PM
Pete

Default Re: 1.8Q A4 or TT: Very tough decision.

Aaron,<p>Get the TT! Everybody's says the world is going to end pretty soon due to Y2K, so enjoy it now. Only real problem you might face is staying single. My 21 year old daughter got 5 marriage proposals one evening while cruising in the TT. My wife has already got 1 just driving to the grocery store. Not sure who to lock up - the women or the TT. On second thought, no doubt about it - the women! Then I can drive the car.<p>Pete
Old 07-15-1999, 02:29 PM
dazzyb

Default Re: I'd say get the A4... (Long)

This is good advice I have to say. I currently have an A4 with a chip, Ramair filter and sports package. It's a great car - and pretty quick with it. But I am getting a TT roadster.<p>I have been looking for a convertable for over a year now. Nothing else really appeals to me. Just look at the competition<p>Z3 - I loved it when it was first launched but hate it now, way too common.<p>Boxster - I am one of those that cannot tell if it is going forward or just reversing very quickly.<p>Saab 9-3 - Just read the Car and Driver review to see the reliability problems...<p>Mercedes CLK320 - Here is a great coupe that looks CRAP as a convertable IMHO.<p>Audi Convertable - Too old school for my liking.<p>BMW M3 - Too 'boy racer' for me.<p>So I am going with the Audi. It is the only one that really stirred me when I first saw it's design. I love the quality of my A4 so I was hoping Audi would step into the convertable market with something fresh and new. Thank god they did. I just hope they don't become too common. Hopefully the less sytlish buyers will go for the Honda S2000 instead....<br>
Old 07-15-1999, 03:10 PM
parkerpt

Default To Crisp:...

I doubt your trip to NM will take you any further North than Lubbock but if you do go way North and loop back through Amarillo send me an email. I would love to meet some Audi people (not any here to speak of) and see one of those awesome TTs in person.<p><br>parkerpt<br>99.5 A4 1.8T qms<p>PS I used to live in San Marcos and I would love to get my A4 on the roads out to Wimberly and along the Devil's backbone. Did you go camping at Enchanted Rock?
Old 07-15-1999, 05:18 PM
DWK

Default I (very) occasionally ask myself this question

.....and my girlfriend (gotta love her) brings me back to my senses by simply pointing out 'the A4 is no TT'.<p>consider - nobody spends time on their deathbed _really_ wishing they'd bought that station wagon.
Old 07-15-1999, 05:56 PM
Daniel Tully

Default Traded my A4 for the TT

Had an A4 Avant w/ sport tuning and Tiptronic(blah). It was a very good automobile, though perhaps a hair under the A4 sedan in performance. Have two boys (9 and 3) - and one wife. She has the new Beetle and it is the "practical" car now. The TT is mine, for me and myself and its the best thing I've done since the 911 ! Don't sweat it - there's plenty of time to be practical.

Quick Reply: 1.8Q A4 or TT: Very tough decision.