TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

2 month ownership impression on my TT so far

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 month ownership impression on my TT so far

Before I got this TT, I looked at the 911SC, E36 M3, and the Lexus SC400. Still got the TT for several reasons. Yes the TT rattles, the stereo sucks, the CD changer works sometimes, the car is quick but not exactly a rocket ship, the gearing is wrong, ergonomics is so-so, the car's electronics are quirky. Handling is good for FWD, good low end but runs out of steam at higher RPM range, gas mileage is good. The quality of material is definitely there but the way its executed is poor. My previous car was an E36 and Porsche 944, even those cars I consider to be better built even if they were older. But the TT does not really do anything particularly well, it just does it ok. The M3 would have been the true sports car but there are several reasons I did not choose that car. Also Im convinced that most people buy the TT for its style and not so much for the performance or reliability. I know thats one of the main reasons I got the TT. Its a beautiful car, very classy, and will look good 10 years later. While the M3 may have superior driving dynamics, its pretty much turned into a German rice car. And the Lexus was fast, quiet, and reliable. But how boring is that? And the 911SC, well lets just say the car is overpriced for what it is. You also don't see much TT's on the road. Where I live its rare I see a coupe, I see mostly roadsters. In the end, Im glad I got this car. I know about all the maintenance issues and prepared to spend the money for it. Looking forward to owning this car for a long time. And thanks to people who responded to my questions, this is an awesome forum.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default hmmm, I don't share your impression

excellent build quality, very reliable. Audi did several things well in both design and execution. Other than that I'm 225 quattro so I can't go into the rocketness, but I'm a happy buy.

I also realize you are not alone.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:21 PM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default you should have bought a 225 quattro instead of a 180 FWD,,,especially if you want to compare it to

a porsche or M3. then chip it.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:21 PM

Default Your observations...>>>

I've had my TT for about 6 months now and agree with nearly all your observations...

BTW, the BMW E36 "looks like a Civic" (at least that's what my wife commented when I was considering purhasing an E36 M3 instead of the TT)... I mentioned the comment to a couple E36 owners and they bristled, "Yeah we get that all the time - but it's BMW - a driving macchine, not a Honda!

Well, no one is going to confuse a TT for anything except a TT...
Old 02-10-2006, 01:26 PM

Default Mod your 180 then re-evaluate; no need to trade "up." Not disagreeing with your>>>

observations either, but after that you will no doubt feel a little more positive than you do now, about your car's already "positive" aspects.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:28 PM

Default Must say I somewhat agree, although I've had no problems w/ CD changer>>

Car in stock for performs at a moderate level and, yes, gearing is not exactly to my liking either. I know nothing of Porsche build quality but agree that the materials used in our car are very nice. I continue to admire my interior and believe it to be above my co-worker's new M3.
As for M3....not even in the same league.
I bought my car because I wanted a 2 seat convertible that I could fit in. It fit the bill.
That being said....my 225TTR took to mods like a dry sponge in water. Latest under construction is custom mapping for my car by Hans Dahlback. Should get >=410 crank (with my other mods).
Stock TT is a looker not a go'er. But give it a few mods....she'll go nicely
Old 02-10-2006, 01:29 PM

you beat me to it
Old 02-10-2006, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default As others have mentioned a 225 quattro would solve some of your issues.

There are some minor electrical issues (my cd changers flakes sometimes too) but overall materials and build quality, especially the interior materials, is excellent. How many other cars have real aluminum trim instead of cheap painted plastic? There's nothing anywhere near the TT price range that comes close to the interior (IMO anyway).
Old 02-10-2006, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Drove the 225 quattro..

Yes its faster but not THAT much faster. As I said, I compromised some performance and traded up for the classy looks of the TT. I am 36 and I had my share of 'fast' cars previously. Dont really need a freakin rocket right now. The TT is fine, as I said its not slow but not fast either. Its a good car. Love it.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:34 PM
Elder Member

oh, and eventually, you will appreciate the less expensive repairs in comparison to the M3 and 911.

Quick Reply: 2 month ownership impression on my TT so far