TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

2001 TT Complete electrical shutdown - help !

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 TT Complete electrical shutdown - help !

I have a 2001 TT Quattro Roadster that I've been really pleased with. However a couple of days ago the car would not start, ALL electrical components were down. I lifted the hood and tried to remove the battery cover to check it out, but before I could complete that a friend that was inside the car told me everything came back up to normal, it seemed as if there was a lose connection. On the way home, the car lost all power again, 3 times, each time for a split second. All gauges would "die" and come back up to normal, so I hardly had any safety issues.

This is really bugging me, since I later checked all connections around the battery and there's absolutely nothing lose. I haven't been driving the car, concerned that one time it might die and not come back up while driving, since I mostly do my driving on the freeway.

Any advise?
Old 01-16-2011, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlieTX1980
I have a 2001 TT Quattro Roadster that I've been really pleased with. However a couple of days ago the car would not start, ALL electrical components were down. I lifted the hood and tried to remove the battery cover to check it out, but before I could complete that a friend that was inside the car told me everything came back up to normal, it seemed as if there was a lose connection. On the way home, the car lost all power again, 3 times, each time for a split second. All gauges would "die" and come back up to normal, so I hardly had any safety issues.

This is really bugging me, since I later checked all connections around the battery and there's absolutely nothing lose. I haven't been driving the car, concerned that one time it might die and not come back up while driving, since I mostly do my driving on the freeway.

Any advise?
The fuse assembly on top of the battery is known for having bad connections. I would clean everything up there as a starting point.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by AudiMick
The fuse assembly on top of the battery is known for having bad connections. I would clean everything up there as a starting point.
Particularly the fuse closest toward the pass side, bolt both nuts down with a wrench. I replaced a battery then an alternator before finding out about this on my own. Now I check the the connection every couple weeks.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Ok, so I checked all nuts and bolts, and they were pretty tight. I did see however a connector that seemed kinda lose. I removed it and tried to turn the car on, and no problem. I had the engine running and tried to remove it, and no problem, so I don't think this is either.

I'm still trying to find the time to do more research to see what the problem could be, it's really annoying knowing that all of a sudden the car will eventually just die !!
Old 01-18-2011, 02:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The first picture link was broken, here's the picture I tried to upload
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-21-2011, 07:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I have had a grounding issue twice..

It turned out to be a bad connection to the transmission bell housing. With me I didn't loose all power but there was 3 or 4 volt drop over that bad connection.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Sounds like a grounding problem, but cleaning all of the contacts shown in the photo above can't hurt either. I did a gounding mod on my car 4 years ago. Basically I now have 4 ground points in the engine compartment and I have had zero electrical problems since.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Well, it's taken me a while to update the status of the car, sorry about that.

I'm glad to say that the problem has been fixed. I just cleaned all connections and paid special attention to the grounding wire, which I think it was the issue. I did not go as far as adding any grounding points, but I did remove the whole battery to clean the actual grounding point beneath it.

Thanks to everyone for the help.