TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

2003 TT upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 09:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 TT upgrades

I have a 2003 TT 225hpquattro that's totally stock and am looking to upgrade it. I'm looking I to an APR ecu tune for sure. I was wondering if anyone has opinions on air intakes? Ie will they actually make a difference
Old 02-28-2013, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The best modification you can add to a chip is a 2.5 (or 3inch) inch turbo back exhaust. The best down pipe IMO is the 42DD three inch and after that a Forge, APR or other system of your choice. This really will give you the most gain. On the intake side replacing the TIP (turbo intake pipe) will also yield a HP increase although not half as much as the exhaust, APR makes a nice one. I do not think intake mods upstream of the mass air flow sensor do anything significant; there are many who say they do (many who sell them) but I have not seen AB dyno graphs that prove it.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah really the only difference I've seen with a cold air intake is the noise it produces. I've heard both sides of the argument though. It seems like an ecu tune gives the most bang for your buck
Old 03-02-2013, 07:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by archerychamp
I have a 2003 TT 225hpquattro that's totally stock and am looking to upgrade it. I'm looking I to an APR ecu tune for sure. I was wondering if anyone has opinions on air intakes? Ie will they actually make a difference
The only reason you would really want to get a cold air intake is if you plan on increasing the boost or getting a turbo. You would then need to get an intake that would match the turbo. Otherwise, you can get one if you want to but it's not really a necessity.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I meant get a bigger turbo. My bad.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Audi Dude02
I meant get a bigger turbo. My bad.
Yeah that's what I've been saying but I have one guy telling me otherwise. But I'm learning that he's an idiot when it comes to cars. And now I'm actually looking at the revo ecu tune because I have an authorized revo shop in my town. They are saying it'll bump me up to 263hp and 267lb-ft torque
Old 04-30-2013, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I would go with the Unitronic ecu upgrade. In the reviews I have read they are a better bang for your buck. If you wanna spend then money (i am going to) pick up the 42 Draft Designs air intake puts down an additional 14whp and i think 8ft-lbs of torgue(has dyno sheets on their site) and then grab a new dv/bv. and honestly i would go with 42DD downpipe and then if you can build your own exhaust do that. cause all the other ones look pretty much the same. but if you are going to do all of the stuff listed above go with 3 inch piping.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah really the only difference I've seen with a cold air intake is the noise it produces. I've heard both sides of the argument though. It seems like an ecu tune gives the most bang for your buck
I've heard both sides as well. But I do think a cold air intake and increased air flow does make a difference. Not just in that nice whooosh sound but in performance. I would love to see hard numbers, but the guys at APR also agreed - obviously more air flow/denser air = more power.

The issue I have with every discussion I've seen where someone says "I installed my P-Flow and didn't notice a difference" is two fold:

1. If you aren't chipped and are stock, you probably will not see a difference. Stock ECU is not going to take advantage.

2. If you're chipped, it will take about 100 miles for the chip to adjust to the airflow change and take advantage of it. It's just like when you reset your chip or first get it. You have extra power pulling out of APR's parking lot, but 100 miles later your ECU has tweaked and dialed everything in so that now you truly have what you paid for. Same thing when you change the equation, it has to dial it in.

My two cents
Old 05-04-2013, 08:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by maTTfiveoh
I would go with the Unitronic ecu upgrade. In the reviews I have read they are a better bang for your buck. If you wanna spend then money (i am going to) pick up the 42 Draft Designs air intake puts down an additional 14whp and i think 8ft-lbs of torgue(has dyno sheets on their site) and then grab a new dv/bv. and honestly i would go with 42DD downpipe and then if you can build your own exhaust do that. cause all the other ones look pretty much the same. but if you are going to do all of the stuff listed above go with 3 inch piping.
APR all day, every day, forever!!

Seriously though, do it right. APR is #1 hands down IMHO.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah that's what I've been saying but I have one guy telling me otherwise. But I'm learning that he's an idiot when it comes to cars. And now I'm actually looking at the revo ecu tune because I have an authorized revo shop in my town. They are saying it'll bump me up to 263hp and 267lb-ft torque
Too bad you bought a Quattro. There's more room back there for big downpipes/turbos if you had a FWD

Not sure about the guy in your ear, but the first thing you need to do obviously is get a chip. After that, get an upgraded diverter valve. THEN get an intake. Will you see a gain like before/after chip? No. But it will help and it's very inexpensive really. And you can do the install yourself in no time. After that you can venture into bigger turbos/downpipes/hi flow cats/catback exhaust.

APR is the best IMO but my mechanic is a REVO shop and they say good things about REVO and APR, they just happen to sell REVO. It's funny though, I see them installing APR gear on cars all the time lol.

Quick Reply: 2003 TT upgrades