TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

2003 TT upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 06:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zer0star
Too bad you bought a Quattro. There's more room back there for big downpipes/turbos if you had a FWD

Not sure about the guy in your ear, but the first thing you need to do obviously is get a chip. After that, get an upgraded diverter valve. THEN get an intake. Will you see a gain like before/after chip? No. But it will help and it's very inexpensive really. And you can do the install yourself in no time. After that you can venture into bigger turbos/downpipes/hi flow cats/catback exhaust.

APR is the best IMO but my mechanic is a REVO shop and they say good things about REVO and APR, they just happen to sell REVO. It's funny though, I see them installing APR gear on cars all the time lol.
Nah I'd much rather have the AWD quattro. Better in all road conditions plus I won't have horrid understeer once all my upgrades are in. And I'm getting the parts first with the tune last. If you do the tune first, then throw in a bunch of parts after, it won't run as well as it will if you go parts first and tune last. With upgraded parts already on it, a good tuning mechanic can tweak the tune to match your parts, hence better performance
Old 05-05-2013, 06:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by archerychamp
Nah I'd much rather have the AWD quattro. Better in all road conditions plus I won't have horrid understeer once all my upgrades are in. And I'm getting the parts first with the tune last. If you do the tune first, then throw in a bunch of parts after, it won't run as well as it will if you go parts first and tune last. With upgraded parts already on it, a good tuning mechanic can tweak the tune to match your parts, hence better performance
Quattro is nice but bottom line is you can't go as big as a FWD. It's simply a fact. But it depends on how far you want to go. Also early FWDs like mine don't have the understeer issue, and those that do can easily correct it with sway bar upgrades and DEFCON (I have the original control arms - lucky me).

As far as parts first, that doesn't make any sense :/ Sounds like that idiot in your ear has gotten the best of you lol. Your car will not run well if you start bolting on tons of hardware upgrades without tuning adjustments. And if your "good tuning mechanic" can't RETUNE your car after every bolt on, he's worthless.

When you go somewhere like APR and get a stage 1 chip on stock parts, then as your wallet allows and you add more items, they RETUNE your car for free. It's good business and needed when you add the parts. If I were you I'd either go local APR dealer or ship your ECU to them, get the stage 1, then when you can afford downpipes do it again - that's the next quick gain IMO. For the intake you won't need to adjust the chip, but downpipes or more exhaust upgrades you do/should update the chip. Just my two cents!
Old 08-12-2013, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by zer0star
Quattro is nice but bottom line is you can't go as big as a FWD. It's simply a fact. But it depends on how far you want to go. Also early FWDs like mine don't have the understeer issue, and those that do can easily correct it with sway bar upgrades and DEFCON (I have the original control arms - lucky me).
It mostly depends on how badly you want to be beaten by an AWD car while your spinning your tires. The problem with FWD is the more power you make the harder the launch becomes especially in real world conditions. I've been down that road with my Supercharged Grand Prix and my SRT4. Both would run 12's at the track all day long and pull like crazy from a roll but on real world roads it was a different story. You can spend 1000s trying to eliminate wheel hop and get the car to hook up but I'd rather put that money into the motor and know I can use it.